Has anyone ever gone back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a local (inactive PADI/TDI) instructor who still uses a Dive-rite transpac for some of her single tank diving, complete with some of her weight in the integrated pockets. And a short primary reg hose (40"?). I don't know exactly why, probably because its all setup that way and there's little benefit for her to convert - she's not doing air sharing practices with this rig, etc. I think she's got her canister light on it but I can't recall the attachment. She uses a backup light as a focusing light on her camera, but I don't think there's another backup on her.

She uses a plate, wing, 7ft hose, canister on right hip etc. for her cave diving. She's full cave(2) with GUE.

not exactly go back, i still use my jacket style bcd. I find it easier to travel with plus easier to get in to in a small crowded boat. I like them both that i couldn't make myself choose one over the other.

It is pretty cool that this thread apeared here.

Eventhough i've been diving "wing+harness" sort of setup from the day "one", (i was OW certified using a 55lbs wing + deepoutdoors soft harness which drove my instructor nuts, he wanted me to learn and certify in a jacket style cressi contraption) yesterday was my first ever dive with hog harness + ss backplate and 40lbs wing.

So my first dive using a hogarthian harness and a SS BP was by far one of the best equipment experiences i've had manly because of very quick setup and doning, and then after i was in the water i didn't have to scramble with all the adjustments points to make sure the farness and straps weren't too tight i wasn't getting suffocated by the sternum strap. It took some time to adjust and fit the harness but you do it once and it stays there at least for long enough.

No i am not ever going back to any kind of harness with multiple adjustment points and straps accross my chest, let alone a jacket BC (btw never tried one...)

Besides it was also a first time for me using 7' primary + 22" backup hose.. which also went very well.

I'm a little late to the party but I'll add my 2 cents;

I switched from a BC to a bp/wing configuration and am thrilled that I did. I find the extra weight of the plate a real bonus as it cuts the amount of weights I have to carry. I dove it with a single tank adapter recently in Cuba and the weight of the adapter helped out even more. I plan to dive the BC once in a while just to stay proficient with it but I'll dive the bp/w setup the most. I can even travel ok with it.

Since my doubles have a long hose setup I set up my single tank system with the same configuration. This will make procedures more consistent with me and my buddies and not make any of us have to remember which configuration I'm diving at what time.

While it doesn't fully address the goals of the OP I just wanted to note that having switched I have no plans to go back to a standard BCD.

Now that I've gone the whole HOG (if you will forgive the pun) there is only one reason for keeping my original Scubapro BC set-up – weight. My steel plate alone weighs a ton, though it's great in the water.

I switched from a BC to a bp/wing configuration and am thrilled that I did. I find the extra weight of the plate a real bonus as it cuts the amount of weights I have to carry.

Same here, although I'm planning a dive trip next month which may force me to leave the SS backplate at home. Weight restrictions on a small puddle jumper plane are NOT gear friendly!

I seriously thought about going from a BPW to a BCD
Why? I was finding it hard to get in and out of my gear mainly... then i got worded up about adjusting the harness properly
Now i wouldn't go back... It's like you're wearing nothing underwater and it just doesn't move.

For the record... I see no real purpose for the BP/W set up... especially the "Hogarthian" set up which is something completely different from a BP/W set up.

BCD's per se do everything a BP/W set up does and a whole lot more. I consider myself a minimalist... and a BP/W is too minimal to meet my minimalist standards.

I have tried BP/W and found it to be inadequate. I had no problems adjusting weighting etc... but why buy simplicity only to have to add all the other things to it? No pockets - you have to add pockets... not enough D-rings... you have to add d-rings, no weight integration - you have to add weight pockets... etc... in the end it looks alot like a BCD.

A well designed BCD with the right number of d-rings, storage pockets, weight pockets, trim pockets etc... can be less money, less headache and a lot safer.

The one true benefit of a BP/W is if it is stainless you can remove alot of weight elsewhere and have it more centered in your core body on your back, so why do some use the ABS plastic or aluminum BP's?

If you want some great BCD's that knock BP/W's out the box... try the new Hollis ATS or HD100 or the Omega Zone II or Scubapro Knighthawk. You could also go with a softpack such as the Dive Rite Transpac w/ Wing and lots of other more common sense options.

I'm sure I'll get beat over the head with this post... but the facts are the facts. If you like BP/W configurations then go for it. I say everyone should dive what makes them happy... We sell BP/W configurations to those that want them... and we sell BCD's to those that want them.

It is not a step up (in my opinion) to go from a BCD to a BP/W... it is a lateral move or a preference... and it is the same if you go in the other direction from BP/W to a BCD.

The one true benefit of a BP/W is if it is stainless you can remove alot of weight elsewhere and have it more centered in your core body on your back, so why do some use the ABS plastic or aluminum BP's?

they come in handy if you're diving a really heavy rig.
doubles for instance...
you don't need the weight of a steel plate
or for travel...

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom