Has anyone done a liveaboard in French Polynesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been almost 10 years since I spent a month in French Polynesia. Decided to look up this forum to see what is happening lately! If you want French cuisine and culture, you won't really find it up in Manihi (at least not when I was there). But, the mantas were really nice. But, as that is not on the airpass you're looking at, it's a moot point. The best of French culture you will get is on Tahiti itself and Moorea. Moorea is a beautiful island. Ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. Spent 6 nights there are a little place called Les Tipaniers. Very basic, but our room had a stovetop and fridge so were prepared some basic meals to save on costs HOTEL TIPANIERS MOOREA POLYNESIE FRANCAISE. The highlight of the trip was the onsite dive op who took us on a dive right out in front of the resort. During one of the tidal changes, there were literally hundreds of eagle rays. They came and went in a hurry, but it was an incredible sight!

We also stayed 6 nights in Fakarava. We stayed in a pension where no one spoke any english, but the food was great and they had a pearl farm onsite. Again, not a huge french influence here either. The dive operator was questionable though. Wish I could remember the details, but it was 10 years ago and long before I decided to become a travel agent. Went diving 4 days in a row and only 1 at the pass. We were really pissed off and they rode their little dingy so hard and fast the ride out was like being on a bucking bronco. I lived in fear of falling off. It actually broke the lens right off my husband's brand new video camera while it was inside the housing in the camera bucket. A huge disappointment. Their attitude was like....so what?

The other option is the Paul Guagin cruise ship although I used Air Tahiti airpass - when booking remember that the flights dont go to all islands every day. For diving forget Bora Bora, Moorea is average, the Tuomotos will blow your mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom