Has anyone been to the crater in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Mark

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone been to the crater in March? We are taking 20+ student the first weekend in April. I am wondering if they have replaced or fixed the "hot tub". Is the vis back to normal?

There are a few instructors on the RMO SB that likely have been to the Crater of late.

I seriously doubt the vis was impacted for more than a couple of days UNLESS they have recently been removing stuff from the bottom. I don't know the flow rate at the crater, but I would assume vis returns to normal within a couple of days.

If you have students scheduled to go, than other than to reschedule the class, you don't have much choice, and the vis will be what it is? Why not contact the management at the Crater, and just ask them? They could lie, but again, it will be what it is, and that is pretty much the case anywhere one goes diving.

DiveDoggie teaches a lot at the Crater. Not sure if he was there in March, but maybe he will respond.

I was there in February. At that time, everybody had to go down and take a look. Buoyancy skills (or lack thereof) kept the bottom stirred up well after the intial fall. I have not been back recently.

I was there a few days ago and the vis is back to normal. The Hot tub is still at the bottom and the novelty has worn off.

Don't know if you've been there yet or not..

But the hot tub is still at the bottom with no new hot tub in it's place, vis was good and water was about 87.

I had my group there over this past weekend. All went well. We have 18 new OW divers, 2 new AOW & 1 new ResQ. Water was warm and clear. I talked to the staff guy a bit. They are planning on rebuilding the hot tub, but are in no big hurry. No plans to bring up the old one.

Back
Top Bottom