Has anyone been denied a c-card ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoopy

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recalled every c-course that I did, the instructor repeats that he will not hesitate to fail or made to repeat anyone who didn't make the mark.

I am just curious if there are anyone out there who have failed a certifiation course and have to either :

1. repeat the course or module

2. completely leave or being kicked off the course

or

3. denied a c-card - for any reason

Do care to share your comments ?

Esp the instructors out there, have you failed / denied anyone their c-card ?

who couldn't be bothered to come to the lecture portion on time or do the required reading. The guy also had a little problem with anger management. When he did not pass the written test, our instructor refused to pass him, and he was furious. The dive shop owner gave him a refund and told him to take it elsewhere...

The other person in my O/W class was denied. The instructor tried all he could do to get her to pass the skills portion, but she could not do it. The ones she could squeak by with, he did not feel she was comforatble enough doing them to sign her off on.

back in 1983, our instructor failed several people. Things were different then, I guess.

I was working on my DM by helping at an AOW/Peak Performance Buoyancy class in which one person failed and was told that his continued diving, at any level, was unsafe.

Although we could not yank his c-card, we did tell him that he would not be allowed to dive with us until we determined that he demonstrated significant improvement.

... failed his final written test for PADI OW.... but they gave him the c-card anyway. Years later he took a DIRf and got squared away. He even took an SSI nitrox class and passed it :D

I don't sell certifications, I sell classes. I do not garantee the class will result in a card. I often have students who need extra pool or OW time. Mostly extra pool time. That is because if they are ready for OW they shouldn't run into many problems there. This is why we keep adding pool time to the class. There are simply too many who need more time. I don't charge extra for the extra time unless it gets rediculous and then it's usually due to a lack of effort on the part of the student. I don't deny a student a card but some give up before they hit the mark.

Some say I expect too much. I say there are instructors who expect less and I don't hesetate to give out their names. I hate it when it's my students who muck up the dive site.

One was a young teen who had great difficulty reading. He could explain all of the concepts to me, but he did not understand the test questions.

More often, it is people who do not prepare. Many students do not answer the required knowledge review questions before the academic sessions.

I've had people not show up to take the final exam, and then wonder why I won't pass them. No Show + No Call = No Way!

So long as the student is willing to put forth a genuine effort, I will continue to try new approaches to develop the necessary skills and knowledge. Not every student learns best using the same approach, so I understand if difficulties arise. Diving is not natural and a few folks struggle to learn each step of the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom