Has anybody here seen a great white locally?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot about the two young (8-10 ft) great whites that cruised around in Avalon Bay during the winter two and several years ago. Also there was the report of an OW class in the dive park that had a small great white cruise past as they were going through their skills. I've often said that if that incident was true... it was either the best dive of their life... or the last!

I dove with some commercial urchin divers from the California Abalone Association off San Miguel during the California DFG Abalone Survey. Several of them described a part of Santa Rosa that they're real uncomfortable with. Two said that they had been impacted - hit but not bit - by large sharks of indeterminate species while urchin diving (hooka systems) in that area.

Santa Rosa is one of the islands I haven't dived and I wish I could remember the part they didn't like. It was very specific.

Jim

orangelion03:
OK, plain thruth...I would "soil my armor".

I 2nd that! :11:

Weak effort to change subject...:bfish:

LAJim:
I dove with some commercial urchin divers from the California Abalone Association off San Miguel during the California DFG Abalone Survey. Several of them described a part of Santa Rosa that they're real uncomfortable with. Two said that they had been impacted - hit but not bit - by large sharks of indeterminate species while urchin diving (hooka systems) in that area.

Santa Rosa is one of the islands I haven't dived and I wish I could remember the part they didn't like. It was very specific.

Jim
Would that be Shark Park?
edit: Never mind. That's at San Miguel.

orangelion03:
Weak effort to change subject...:bfish:

Change your avatar. It's hard to change the subject when we keep seeing that beast. :wink:

Tom

a couple years ago I was surfing in San Onofre and after i got home on sunday night there was reports of a shark (they were pretty sure it was a whitey). estimates were in the 20' range. The funny thing was it was spotted by people on saturday, (the basic cable clowns showed up too) I surfed sat, and sunday and never heard a report from anybody. seems, everybody knew about it but the people in the water.

I also got chased off the surfline in malibu when a shark was reported near sunset beach. that also made it onto the news.

Seems i seem to be a shark attractant! dang it!

I prefer to dive with people who have sinus problems and get bloody noses. I also like them to have fin straps that are easy to unclip, that way when it gets ugly I can just unclip their fins and depart at my leisure.

I should clarify that the lifegaurds chased us off the surfline in malibu, not the shark. minor detail...

orangelion03:
I am SO not ever diving with you!

I've had 3 person sightings over an ~30 year period.

First sighting was on a fishing trip out the Taner/Cortes Banks in the mid 70's. We spotted an ~14 foot animal on the trip back; just off San Clemente Island. We idled while it made a couple close exploratory passes along side the boat.

Second sighting was in the Fall of '82 while surfing at Cotton's Point in San Clemente. We spotted a dorsal and caudal fin of a GWS about 50 yds outside the line up; swimming South toward Upper Trestles, just outside the kelp line that existed at the time. We estimated the length to be ~8-9 ft. About 30 minutes prior to the sighting we observed a juvenile sea lion breach about 3 ft out of the water ~20 yds outside the lineup.

The third and most recent sighting was on the morning of August 21, 2004 while surfing T-Street in San Clemente. We observed small GWS pup ~3 ft in length feeding on a large school of bait fish. Unbeknown to us at the time, this was the very next morning after the documented attack on Shannon Lehmann at 204's (~1000 yds away) under similar circumstances (bait fish in water). One person in the line up nearly got their toes bitten when they approached to investigate the area of splashing/commotion generated by the feeding animal.

Back
Top Bottom