Has a liveaboard ever fallen a pray to a pirate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wonbok

Reaction score
A recent Economist article featured the pirate problems in the Southeaster Asia. An inset map showed thaat piracy has taken place anywhere from the Celebes Sea to the West Coast off India, which are popular liveaboard destinations.

Has there been a documented piracy against a liveaboard boat?

As far as I know not in Thailand. I have also never heard of ships in the area that have disappeared without explanation. I think most of the piracy takes places without being seen, whereas with diveboats there are quite often a couple of them in the area.

Not sure if this counts:

A liveaboard I was on in the Anambas (islands between Singapore and Borneo) got stopped by the Indonesian navy. Like most navel types they wore shell suits and carried rather large guns.

They were looking for 'visa fees'. Strangely this was before there was a visa.

The initial price was very high, but ended up at about one case of beer and some USD.

MacHeath:
Not sure if this counts:

A liveaboard I was on in the Anambas (islands between Singapore and Borneo) got stopped by the Indonesian navy. Like most navel types they wore shell suits and carried rather large guns.

They were looking for 'visa fees'. Strangely this was before there was a visa.

The initial price was very high, but ended up at about one case of beer and some USD.
In India we used to call that sort of thing - "Local Taxes Extra" :D

MacHeath would this have been last year, with two rebreathers on board? If yes then same trip for me, posibly another trip on White Manta as well. You have sony with the DX25 strobe right!!!!!! :)

Albion:
MacHeath would this have been last year, with two rebreathers on board? If yes then same trip for me, posibly another trip on White Manta as well. You have sony with the DX25 strobe right!!!!!! :)

Correct.
Wow how did you manage to deduce that? There must have been 25 people on the WM.

MacHeath:
Correct.
Wow how did you manage to deduce that? There must have been 25 people on the WM.
elementary my dear watson, actually i saw one of your other posts about the DX25 so im guessing who you are. We (kim and myself) bought a DX25 to go with our sony P10 based a bit on seeing your setup.

Yellow force fins and a video is a clue

Albion:
elementary my dear watson, actually i saw one of your other posts about the DX25 so im guessing who you are. We (kim and myself) bought a DX25 to go with our sony P10 based a bit on seeing your setup.

Yellow force fins and a video is a clue

Ahhhh, it all becomes clear. Long time no see, have you been diving at all lately? We are off to Manado for national day. (sorry, I have to drop that into all converstaions)

Was out two W/E ago on WM to Kuantan / tioman, not bad trip, lots of big rays and think someone else saw a guitar shark. Going on a techy trip this W/E and going to be flayed, sorry trained on the MV Grace by Big Andy. If you dont see any more posts from me then it means i was keel hauled and made to walk the plank.

Can brag as well, went to lembeh last month, but is a long story.

Have a good trip, we will be back in blighty for national day so will be sulking

wonbok:
A recent Economist article featured the pirate problems in the Southeaster Asia. An inset map showed thaat piracy has taken place anywhere from the Celebes Sea to the West Coast off India, which are popular liveaboard destinations.

Has there been a documented piracy against a liveaboard boat?
Not that I know of, but these folks show quite a bit of piracy against merchants.

http://www.cargolaw.com/presentations_casualties.html

Considering that the pirates are looking for ship's stores and personal valuables, I would not rule it out.

Back
Top Bottom