Harness Material: Nylon or Polyester?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, let us know what you got from McMaster.com.

Best,

deepseafalcon:
Hello,

Now I found below info on McMaster.com.
From that, it sounds as if Polyester could actually be the better choice: "soft, low stretch, and quick drying, so it retains much of its strength when wet"
However, somewhere else I read that Nylon particularly well resists salt water. But it i know that it tends to stretch a little when wet.

==> anybody experience with that and can give advise?

JimLap:
I think nylon is better now cause I believe the peta people are trying to protect the polyester population from over harvesting. They're small but feisty little critters.

Nah, they're all busy looking out for the naugas (naugahyde).

How about this?

Bulked Nylon Webbing 2" Wide, Gray, 5000# Breaking Strength

3439T12

hoosier:
So, what is the closest one in McMaster.com.?

hoosier:
How about this?

Bulked Nylon Webbing 2" Wide, Gray, 5000# Breaking Strength

3439T12

wouldn't have thought that my old thread resurfaces again

well, I finally went with a complete Hog rig. Ended up being only marginally more expensive than a pieced together system.

However, since I needed a bunch of other stuff and was curious, I did order two 1ft pieces of McMaster:
3439T12 bulked Nylon and 3444T84 Polyester

The former is very close to weight belt webbing (thickness and stiffness), but grey, and somehow doesn't look quite as high quality as the harness I got.
The latter would make an excellent crotch strap: makes high quality impression, is soft an pliable, yet thick enough it doesn't pinch.

d-s-f

Thanks for your good info.

You save other's troubles.... If then, I had better order only crotch webbing from them.

deepseafalcon:
wouldn't have thought that my old thread resurfaces again

well, I finally went with a complete Hog rig. Ended up being only marginally more expensive than a pieced together system.

However, since I needed a bunch of other stuff and was curious, I did order two 1ft pieces of McMaster:
3439T12 bulked Nylon and 3444T84 Polyester

The former is very close to weight belt webbing (thickness and stiffness), but grey, and somehow doesn't look quite as high quality as the harness I got.
The latter would make an excellent crotch strap: makes high quality impression, is soft an pliable, yet thick enough it doesn't pinch.

d-s-f

hoosier:
Thanks for your good info.

You save other's troubles.... If then, I had better order only crotch webbing from them.

they actually have one other material that could be interesting
3364T161 POLYURETHANE-COATED POLYESTER
forgot to order a sample
kind of expensive though, at 1.90
certainly cheaper sources elsewhere
d-s-f

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom