Harness Material: Nylon or Polyester?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepseafalcon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I am about to put together my first Hog Harness and am looking for the materials.
On the Jetharness-Website, it is explained why he uses Nylon over PP and why Nylon is better. Sounds plausible. So I was looking for Nylon, and trying to find the "tight weave" type, which I think is less abrasive and stiff, i.e., more comfy when diving w/o much protection.

Now I found below info on McMaster.com.
From that, it sounds as if Polyester could actually be the better choice: "soft, low stretch, and quick drying, so it retains much of its strength when wet"
However, somewhere else I read that Nylon particularly well resists salt water. But it i know that it tends to stretch a little when wet.

==> anybody experience with that and can give advise?

I would also be interested in links to other places where to buy stuff like that, including SS hardware

Btw, the Polyurethane-coated polyester sounds great for DIY tank straps, although I don't think I want to go there (unless I find a way w/o sewing)

Thanks!
d-s-f

Nylon is soft-to-touch yet strong and combines good stretch/recovery properties with abrasion and mildew resistance. Most mineral acids won't affect nylon, but it loses strength when wet.

Bulked nylon has a higher grade of nylon fiber in a tightly woven pattern to create abrasion-resistant webbing that won't slip under severe vibration.

Polyester is soft, low stretch, and quick drying, so it retains much of its strength when wet. Ideal outdoors. Polyester also resists UV light, mildew, and abrasion.

Polyurethane-coated polyester is cut resistant, stays flexible in low temperatures, and offers nonslip properties.

deepseafalcon:
Hello,
I am about to put together my first Hog Harness and am looking for the materials.
On the Jetharness-Website, it is explained why he uses Nylon over PP and why Nylon is better. Sounds plausible. So I was looking for Nylon, and trying to find the "tight weave" type, which I think is less abrasive and stiff, i.e., more comfy when diving w/o much protection.

Now I found below info on McMaster.com.
From that, it sounds as if Polyester could actually be the better choice: "soft, low stretch, and quick drying, so it retains much of its strength when wet"
However, somewhere else I read that Nylon particularly well resists salt water. But it i know that it tends to stretch a little when wet.

==> anybody experience with that and can give advise?

I would also be interested in links to other places where to buy stuff like that, including SS hardware

Btw, the Polyurethane-coated polyester sounds great for DIY tank straps, although I don't think I want to go there (unless I find a way w/o sewing)

Thanks!
d-s-f

Nylon is soft-to-touch yet strong and combines good stretch/recovery properties with abrasion and mildew resistance. Most mineral acids won't affect nylon, but it loses strength when wet.

Bulked nylon has a higher grade of nylon fiber in a tightly woven pattern to create abrasion-resistant webbing that won't slip under severe vibration.

Polyester is soft, low stretch, and quick drying, so it retains much of its strength when wet. Ideal outdoors. Polyester also resists UV light, mildew, and abrasion.

Polyurethane-coated polyester is cut resistant, stays flexible in low temperatures, and offers nonslip properties.

I suggest you sedate the hog first. But just in case, here is a link where you can get all that stuff..

http://www.americanhomeandhabitat.com/catagories/webbing.htm

I hope this helps.

I've used all sorts of materials, heck... cotton even works very well but it tends to rot if you don't take care of it.
Too soft a material & the hardware slips off, so don't go buying any 1000' rolls of the stuff without testing a 20' slab first.
I have a few 50' rolls of "standard weight belt webbing" back in CA, can't recall what its going for though.

Regular ol weight belt webbing, which I believe is resin-coated polypropylene, works pretty darn well.

jonnythan:
Regular ol weight belt webbing, which I believe is resin-coated polypropylene, works pretty darn well.

So, what is the closest one in McMaster.com.?

LOL~~~~.

Maybe, we had better ask to Tobin...

jonnythan:
Heck if I know. I have the Reef Scuba stuff on my harnesses.

These are my findings:

Tobin
=============================================
What we use is all nylon. The differences in webbing is more than the material.

Weight belt webbing is typically resin reinforced nylon, here to there are a few choices in weave and degree of reinforcement, but all resin reinforced is quite stiff.

Our crotch strap material is soft, not as soft as seatbelt webbing, but far more pliable than any of the resin reinforced. It is also 100% nylon, but is a different weave than the resin reinforced.

Polypro webbing is usually used in cost sentive applications like inexpensive backpacks, fanny packs, camera bags etc. It's cheaper and does not wear as well as the 100% nylon types.

Don't know how things work in Oz, but you might contact the local webbing distributor. Look for suppliers to sewing shops. They likely have a sample card.===================================

Jeff
Most folks use Polypropylene webbing for harnesses, etc, because it's the least expensive. It is not the best choice though. Nylon is stronger, and resists abrasion much better, and is far more resistant to the marine environment than polypro. It is however three times the cost.

Polyester is a bit better than nylon, but is generally not available in the course weave styles associated with diving. It's mostly available in the 'seat belt' style weaving.

As far as 'soft' and 'hard', it isn't the material so much as it is how it's woven together, and the thickness. For the hard scuba webbing they use a stiffer material, but it can be either nylon or polypro, and is very difficult to tell the difference by sight and feel alone.

What's really funny though is that I actually spent a lot of time to know all this...LOL

Fred T
Those two are actually quite easy to tell apart. Polypro floats in fresh water, nylon doesn't.
======================

Back
Top Bottom