Hard to find drysuit leak - likely in the inflator valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a REALLY hard to pin down drysuit leak that has gotten to the point that the suit is unusable. I have done just about everything I can think of to track down and fix the problem, but am getting frustrated at my lack of success.

It is a well fitting DUI TLS womens large suit with SiTech flex neck seal, wrist rings, and plastic zipper. I have leak tested with both air inside and soapy water on the outside AND with water inside and looking for seeping (works better than air/soapy water). NO LEAKS.

In use, it feels like water enters when I add air through the power inflator. At the end of the last 3 dives I had water sloshing up to my knees as I exited.

I replaced the inflator valve with a new one, but goofed and ordered the wrong size hose nipple. This I replaced with the correct size nipple - and guess what, I still have the leak. This may have been a problem as on inspection the plastic female threads on both inflator valves are not clean. Trying to re-thread them with a tap didn't clean them up. So at this point I have reinstalled the nipples with some Aquaseal to seal the threads. Waiting for that to fully cure before next test. I have also applied glued on gaskets on the inside, outside and between the fabric outer cover and the actual trilam of the suit (that on is glued only to the fabric cover).

I did a test with a Aquasealed (but not well cured) nipple and UN-glued gaskets. This felt like there was still a bit of a leak, but not fully sure. If the next step doesn't work with either valve I guess I'll have to order another new one with the right nipple this time.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any further ideas? I have thought about sending in the suit for service BUT it doesn't leak in testing - just in actual use. It is in too good of shape and fits too well to junk.

Thanks.

In use, it feels like water enters when I add air through the power inflator. At the end of the last 3 dives I had water sloshing up to my knees as I exited.

I had exactly this feeling and the leak was in the seam under the quickneck ring. When you dive in a decent trim, water seeping from the neck ends up in the chest area and you don't feel it until you press the suit inflator button.

I had exactly this feeling and the leak was in the seam under the quickneck ring. When you dive in a decent trim, water seeping from the neck ends up in the chest area and you don't feel it until you press the suit inflator button.

I did find a pinhole leak with the water inside suit test and replaced the seal before my last 3 dives with the suit. That did not help. I'll look there again, but there was no leak with the air/soap and water inside tests.

I plan on my next "me in suit in water" test to have a DRY towel around my neck and another dry towel taped to the inside of the suit at the valve. See where (if any -- PLEASE!) water is.

Also I will just sit in the water without inflating any. Then carefully dry the outside of the suit and see if there was any leak. Then re-test using the inflator.

Same here.

I had exactly the problem you describe, exactly. I tried everything you did, except that I just swapped the inflator mechanism for one on another suit to test it.

It turned out to be exactly the problem that taimen described, except that it was the Si-Tec system on a Santi suit. Fixing it turned out to be beyond my ability. I sent it in to Dive Right in Scuba. It took them a while to identify the problem, but they found it, and they fixed it. I have done about 15 dives with it since then, with no leaks.

Same here.

I had exactly the problem you describe, exactly. I tried everything you did, except that I just swapped the inflator mechanism for one on another suit to test it.

It turned out to be exactly the problem that taimen described, except that it was the Si-Tec system on a Santi suit. Fixing it turned out to be beyond my ability. I sent it in to Dive Right in Scuba. It took them a while to identify the problem, but they found it, and they fixed it. I have done about 15 dives with it since then, with no leaks.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. This is the help I need.

Same here.

I also did swap the inflator, didn't help. The leak got worse dive after dive until I finally found it. Btw my suit is also Santi, an Emotion+ with a Si-Tech Quickneck ring. I suspect that the ring was not properly installed. The leak started after approx 60 dives.
Santi repaired it under warranty and it is dry now.

If it is the neck ring that would be a lot easier to fix than all the rigamarole I'm doing now. Thanks, I will work on that.

There is very little that a little toluene and Aquaseal won't fix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom