Harbour Master closed the port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The boat Aldora IV made it out before the port closure. The ride south was choppy but not that bad. When we surfaced after the first dive (Columbia deep) we were told that we had to head back straight to the caleta. On the way back we hit a patch of ocean that was as smooth as glass. We stopped and waited there (somewhere San Francisco, I think) for an hour and it stayed perfectly calm. We had kind of decided that we should dive anyway (a mutiny of sorts) when we heard that the port had been re-opened. Great dives, strong current, though.

Thursday's forecast doesn't look hopeful, 15 mph winds out of the northeast - the worst direction, but maybe it will be better. Hope so.

Surprised to see northers there this early. :idk: Hurricane season is a better time to go. :eyebrow:

Yep, port opened up at 11:00 and happy divers are out diving!

Rhodes - when the port closes in the morning, stay on standby with your dive shop if you really want to dive. The "second" harboar master report is between 10 and 10:30am every morning and is when they make the call for the rest of the day usually. Don't give up at that first call unless it's REALLY, REALLY bad out there. These things can blow out just as fast as they come in.

This might be some of the best bit info I have ever read on SB. I would not have known this and next week I'll be sure to keep my phone close when this happens.

Yep, port opened up at 11:00 and happy divers are out diving!

Rhodes - when the port closes in the morning, stay on standby with your dive shop if you really want to dive. The "second" harboar master report is between 10 and 10:30am every morning and is when they make the call for the rest of the day usually. Don't give up at that first call unless it's REALLY, REALLY bad out there. These things can blow out just as fast as they come in.

I did not realize that, that's good to know. Thanks!

Thursday's forecast doesn't look hopeful, 15 mph winds out of the northeast - the worst direction, but maybe it will be better. Hope so.

Surprised to see northers there this early. :idk: Hurricane season is a better time to go. :eyebrow:

Nope Don, N WEST is the worst direction! Northeast doesn't usually close the port unless it's just super uber strong. The wind that we watch for this time of year are West, NW, North and NNE. If the winds are northeast, then it's usually really calm south of Caleta and further south.

BTW, this is not early for nortes, it's just about normal. Today port was open and business as usual - it's very calm but cool and low humidity! The weather has really been gorgeous for the past several weeks and I haven't had to use my AC in 3 weeks!!!!
---------- Post Merged at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:03 AM ----------

This might be some of the best bit info I have ever read on SB. I would not have known this and next week I'll be sure to keep my phone close when this happens.

Dan, you will receive a call from me in the morning if the port is closed, with options for the day. I'll tell you realistically based on the forecast and early report if there is a possibility of the port opening after 10am. I can't guarantee anything, but we make the best call we can based on the information we have. If I KNOW it's not going to be open, then we discuss other options :) BUT, the forecast for your visit looks great so far :)

Nope Don, N WEST is the worst direction! Northeast doesn't usually close the port unless it's just super uber strong. The wind that we watch for this time of year are West, NW, North and NNE. If the winds are northeast, then it's usually really calm south of Caleta and further south.

BTW, this is not early for nortes, it's just about normal. Today port was open and business as usual - it's very calm but cool and low humidity! The weather has really been gorgeous for the past several weeks and I haven't had to use my AC in 3 weeks!!!!
Great to hear. Glad y'all got out today. As always, my comments are but one visitor's view to be taken as such. Weatherunderground and CZM airport are both showing 14 mph NE now, but I guess the island gives you enough windbreak. Now that I think more, with most diving down south of town - the island really should break a NE wind. :thumb:

Is there an approximate wind speed that once reached usually closes the port or is it different depending on the day and wind direction?

Is there an approximate wind speed that once reached usually closes the port or is it different depending on the day and wind direction?
Yep.
As Christi explained not far above, W, NW, N, and NNE winds are the most threatening. :cool:

Port is closed.
Next report 10:30.

Yep, and just sitting around hoping it opens! This is our first day back to The Blue Angel and we're SO ready to go dive. It's a beautiful sunny day but the wind is making whitecaps on the water...ugh. Here's hoping the 11 AM report is a good one!

Back
Top Bottom