Handicap accessible dive resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Tours N Iraq`

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know of a dive resort in the Caribbean that has plenty of topside activities and is handicap accessible? I read an article about disabled divers from Colorado going to the Divi Tiara on Cayman Brac but that resort has since closed its doors to the general public and is exclusively for use by timeshare owners of the resort. I'm looking for honeymoon possibilities as my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) has CP and uses crutches so ramps and wooden or concrete walkways are a must. I would also prefer a resort where there the entrance to the room is via an indoor hallway and not directly to the outside for security reasons but this is not a hard requirement. Thanks for your help in this matter.

There was a large group of disabled divers from Colorado who went to Bonaire the same time we did, last June. I am not sure which dive shop they were with but there were at least 20 of them. You might want to try and get in touch with that dive shop in CO and see if they have some recomendations for you!

:Drobin

There was a large group of disabled divers from Colorado who went to Bonaire the same time we did, last June. I am not sure which dive shop they were with but there were at least 20 of them. You might want to try and get in touch with that dive shop in CO and see if they have some recomendations for you!

:Drobin

Flamingo Beach resort ,last time there,was handicap accessible.

Does anyone know of a dive resort in the Caribbean that has plenty of topside activities and is handicap accessible? I read an article about disabled divers from Colorado going to the Divi Tiara on Cayman Brac but that resort has since closed its doors to the general public and is exclusively for use by timeshare owners of the resort. I'm looking for honeymoon possibilities as my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) has CP and uses crutches so ramps and wooden or concrete walkways are a must. I would also prefer a resort where there the entrance to the room is via an indoor hallway and not directly to the outside for security reasons but this is not a hard requirement. Thanks for your help in this matter.

2 places I know of, Roatan's Anthony' Key Resort(AKR)...One of their 4 Pro 48's has a hydraulic platform that lowers into the water for hdc. divers...The other(we dove with them this past summer) was Little Cayman Beach Resort---?2 days of our week long diving we had a diver completely paralyzed from the waist down diving on our boat...He wheelchaired himself down the dock to the boat, & several of us 'lifted' him into the boat where he road out sitting on the floor @ the back of the boat...

I've got a still shot & video of this guy diving, he NEVER missed a beat, went to 100' on the 1st dive of the day(the Resort's imposed limit) and 70' on thereafter dives....Was the 1st time I had dove with someone like this, very interesting.....]

BTW, LCBR is 100% hcp assessable(IMO) ie rooms, dining hall, & sidewalks thruout the properties.....This would be my choice.....I have pictures of LCBR(cannot link them from this computer) with their topside setup, just click on either one of the links in my sig and go to the main page(back to GEAUXtiger)--then start clicking on albums with LC in their titles, one will have topside pictures of LCBR.......

Also.......... my wife just reminded me of Inn of Last Resort(on Roatan) is the same(I had forgotten) ie setup for hcp divers--our son taught & DM'ed there a few years ago & it's a nice place too......good luck, any questions, get back with me.............

EDIT, here's a landshot showing their 'sidewalk' sytem thruout the resort...As you can see, the sidewalk leads(flat) to the pier leading to the dive boats......
IMG_1745001.jpg

My wife is handicapped (MS), and I second the suggestion of Little Cayman Beach Resort. We were there once, and it was excellent. The diving was the best we had seen in the Caribbean, and the resort is very accessible. In our case, my wife is mobile, but has problems with stairs and uneven terrain. The resort was ideal for us. Also, the divemasters were very accommodating on the boat (doing a seated entry, taking off the tank before getting back into the boat, etc.)

I am interested in similar resorts around the world for us, too. In particular, resorts that have rooms near the restaurant and office and dive pier in order to minimize walking are most important. My wife is not in a wheel chair, so they do not need to be 100% handicapped accessible. Locations in Asia, Indonesia, the Caribbean are all of interest. We just returned from Wakatobi, and it was wonderful.

It sounds as if my girlfriend and your wife have the same needs. My gf isn't confined to a wheel chair either and uses crutches to aid in her mobility so features just as you mentioned are what we are looking for.

Here are a couple of other nice caribbean possibilities:

Young Island Resort, which is a couple of hundred yards from St. Vincent. It is a great resort with excellent food (and those of us from South Louisiana have high standards, for food at least). Many of the rooms are at the base of the hill, where the bar, restaurant, and pool are. The diving is great, especially the muck diving. Bill Tewes owns and operates Dive St. Vincent. He is a curmudgeon, but as long as you don't mind his (good-spirited) jibes, he is maybe the best divemaster I have personally seen. The only downside is that there is a disco which blasts music on some weekend nights, and it can be pretty loud. With that said, I would go back in a heartbeat. Young Island Resort - St. Vincent

Presidente Hotel, Cozumel. I have only been diving around Cozumel post-Wilma. Old hands say that it is not nearly as good, but I had not seen it before, and I thought it was very good. We were there in November. The Presidente is an excellent (and pricey) hotel. Much of it is accessible. It is a bit more spread out than Young Island Resort, but not too unreasonable.
InterContinental Hotels & Resorts | PRESIDENTE COZUMEL RESORT SPA | Hotel Overview

Little Cayman Beach Resort. I had mentioned that in an earlier post. It is not as fancy as the two mentioned above. It is still very nice. It has the best diving of the three, in my opinion. Incredible wall dives and a lot of beautiful underwater topography and swimthroughs.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom