Hampton Roads Dive Shops - Let's hear it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, here we go.

I originally got cert'ed with Wreck Master Divers in Virginia Beach, which went out of business. My only service experience was with them.

So I started going to Dive Quarters for service, and I'm not feeling it. I notice a big difference in quality from what I received at Wreck Masters versus Dive Quarters.

What are the suggestions for Hampton Roads shops?

I had heard stories about LDC, but to be honest I think all of the shops and people have opinions and talk smack about each other. So I'm trying to go on direct experience from people who don't have affiliations or friendships with owners.

And I think of trips as different from service.

I have a steel tank which needs a VIP, so I'm planning to hit LDC to get a feel for their operation.

Other suggestions? I actually live in Norfolk.

The few times I have been to Dive Quarters I didn't get a good vibe either.

I've been to Lynnhaven quite a bit and I have never had a problem with them. They serviced a reg for me back in Feb and were very pleasant.

If you live in Norfolk, you might want to try Divers Unlimited at the intersection of Little Creek Road and Shore Drive. Sparse inventory of gear, and it is the smallest shop of they three. I got a visual inspection there last month, went smoothly. I work very close to there (at NAB Little Creek), so I usually get my fills there on my way home from work. I will probably do my AOW and Nitrox certs there in the fall, mostly for convienence since it is a 2 minute drive from work. Nothing against Lynnhaven, but Unlimited is just alot less out of the way.

I use both Dive Quarters & Lynnhaven so I believe I can give an unbiased opinion.
Lynnhavens trips on the Miss Lindsay are nice & boat is comfortable, but dives are very generic. They have a list of where they go & thats it. Dive Quarters has a smaller boat they Charter & only holds 6 divers, but usually dive some of the lesser known (or dove) wrecks. I have yet to be on 1 that we didnt vote on where the boat was going no matter what the destination was set to be.
On maintence I use DQ. They are also the only shop in town that does there own hydros. On fills I have never been dissappointed with the pressure that ends up in my LPs.
Gear is also in DQs favor. You can get a good deal through Lynnhaven, but only on in stock items. Do NOT order anything from them. I bought an alum 80 brushed alum & wanted a 40 to match. Was told a week to 10 days. That was April 09 & still no tank. Same thing happened to a friend of mine who ended up canceling his order of 4 LP121s & went to DQ & had them in 4 days.
I like having 2 of these shops so close to each other & have good relationships with them both for different reasons.
DQ might seem like they are hard, but they just tell it like it is & most people cant handle that. I would prefer hearing that they are having a problem with whatever I am doing or involved with than just saying what I want to hear to make a sale.
I dont get into my shop is better than your shop BS. I want what I want & if you cant get it I will go where I can.
We do live in America.

When I moved into the area about 6 years ago I wanted to get involved with a dive shop and join one of the local clubs. An co-worker pointed me towards Lynnhaven. Had a hard time getting someone to wait on me. Trying to get info on a dive club was like pulling teeth and the owner actually discouraged me from joining the one he was affiliated with. Really got a bad feel for the shop. I worked with one of the owners for Wreck Masters nice people to bad they had to relocate to Florida.

There's a new player in VA Beach.

The shop is called "Dive Services of Virginia Beach," ran by a guy named Joel Michello. The shop is a large garage in his back yard, definately advanced/tech oriented. He's IANTD.

He seems like a nice guy and has been pretty quick on order/delivery. He's NOT in it to make BIG $$. He's also a Poseidon dealer, the ONLY one around.

His website is:

diveservicesvabeach.com

Keep in mind, NO boat. If your serious about diving in VA Beach/NC, the only way to get "in" is have a GOOD relationship with the people who run the dives.

Or, be happy with quaries. :D

Andy

I live on the penninsula and have found that Underwater Adventures is the best shop on this side of the tunnel. I try very hard to not go through the hole in the ground that separates the Cities in Hampton Roads. Underwater Adventures are now Scubapro dealers if anyone is interested. I think they also do hydros. Thanks though for the information on the dive shops on the other side of the river.

I've had good luck with Diver's Unlimited. They do their own Hydros 'cause I had my 80 hydroed by them last year and you hear Capt Tom hydro'ing them in the back. Had a good class with them also. Went to DQ and walked around 1/2 hour, only person in the shop, nobody asked me if I needed anything I left and spent my money on the internet that time. Lynnhaven - depends on who waits on you. I've had good salesmen and rude saleswomen. Got a Scubapro reg there last year. Ouch, did that hurt the divekitty. But I love it. Divers Unlimited doesn't have alot of fluff but they do seem to have what you need. AND - living on E. Little Creek they are VERY convenient! I've enjoy the 4 classes taken at Divers Unlimited by Capt Tom. MHO.

Unfortunatly Underwater Adventures is the only dive shop I have ever known that will not fill a tank with some other shops Visual Inspection sticker. So if you want a tank filled there, you have to pay for thier $25 visual inspection. I would say that is a bit ridiculous. I used to go there every week for a fill, but got too expensive. They charged $21 for a HP 120 fill. I can get it for $11 to 12 everywhere else. I saw a guy bring in 2 brand new HP 120's with new hydros and Visuals. They were not even Nitrox tanks and they would not fill it without doing thier vis and charging huim $50 bucks. I was glad to see him say "yeah right" and walk out. The people there are nice, but it is a business for them. Seems different since Bob passed.

In fact, all shops are in business so it is thier choice to run it how ever they want.

I deal with Lynnhaven, DQ, and have started going to Chesapeake Divers for my fills. Charge$11 and got back a full 3500 fill.

For service, I have been going to Bill Grimsley at Grimley's Dive Shop in Suffolk. He is the fairest owner I have ever dealt with in the scuba business. My dive buddy lives in Suffolk, and he takes out gear there for service. Bill only charges for what is needed. He doesn't charge $ 300 to service a reg(Which happened to me at UA and I have not been back since). Bill did all of our tanks for visuals and needed hydros. I only wish he filled Nitrox tanks.

The only problem with Grimsley's is you better not be in a hurry when you go there. Bill will want to talk diving for hours. Great honest guy.

Just my 2 cents worth

Interesting. I do my own visual inspections and Jim at Underwater Adventures has always filled my tanks.

How do you do your own visual inspections? Where do you get the inspections sticker?

Is it air or Nitrox?

You are being defensive, I am just telling my experience with the shop. I used to go to the shop exclusivly for five years and I am just telling what I witnessed there. That is what the subject of the post was.

I was offering my experience and my suggestion was to go to Grimsley's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom