Hammerhead. Asia. May/Jane = Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vkalia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This is going to be my first diving "holiday" in almost 5 years, and I am determined to see hammerheads, even if it means I have to spear the b******ds and stuff them on the boat. 15 years of doing this, and I havent seen hammerheads. That's getting fixed!

I gather Layang Layang is a good place and we are planning a 5 day trip there for the last week of May. Wouldnt mind getting another week or so of holiday diving in as well. Any other ideas or suggestions? Am thinking either Sipadan or Tubbataha - PNG/Raja Ampat will be another time - perhaps next year.

What sez you all?

Vandit

Jan-March we get huge schools of them off of Yonaguni, Japan. This year has been great so far with plenty of schools of 80+ to 100+ sharks.

Ringo:
I am also scheduled to go to Layang Layang in May. Is this a good time to go for the Hammerheads?

March/april are supposed to be the good months for the Hammerheads

vkalia:
This is going to be my first diving "holiday" in almost 5 years, and I am determined to see hammerheads, even if it means I have to spear the b******ds and stuff them on the boat. 15 years of doing this, and I havent seen hammerheads. That's getting fixed!

I gather Layang Layang is a good place and we are planning a 5 day trip there for the last week of May. Wouldnt mind getting another week or so of holiday diving in as well. Any other ideas or suggestions? Am thinking either Sipadan or Tubbataha - PNG/Raja Ampat will be another time - perhaps next year.

What sez you all?

Vandit

First diving holiday in 5 years ? I hope you have been diving locally during this time. the dives in Layang2 can be quite challenging at times.

Sorry for not replying earlier - got caught with some unexpected work.

Leroy - we are going back to S Africa later this year, but primarily as a landing point for a visit to Namibia and Botswana. Not going to have a lot of time to dive, and as I'll be carrying my wildlife photo kit with me, the u/w housing will not make the trip.

Japan-Diver - appreciate the suggestion. But it has to be in May.

Allison - Cocos in Costa Rica? Not exactly Asia, though...

Tzeyap - How's May for hammerheads in Layang-Layang? I've heard some reports suggesting it is ok for hammers till June.

As for the local diving bit, yeah, it shouldnt be a problem. I own a dive shop, so I have managed to get a few dives in :) While I have dived elsewhere as well, mostly it has been a few dives combined with other traveling - havent taken a "dive only" holiday in ages.

Cheers,
Vandit

I can't generalize but was in Layang Layang in May last year and we did see plenty of hammers... Good luck in your quest !

frogfish, out of curiousity, how many did you see and at what depth? were you able to get close?

Back
Top Bottom