halogen to led conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lambsfarm 13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi. is it possible to replace the halogen bulb in my dive light with an led. it uses the two pin 12 volt umbrella type bulb & i notice that you can now get led,s with the same fitting. straight swap or is it not that simple?

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Attachments

• p4530055_x.jpg
    p4530055_x.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 78
  • p4751770_x.jpg
    p4751770_x.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 58
The normal drive voltage for low voltage halogens in household use is 12V, but 60 or 50Hz AC. What you have in your in you light is 12V DC. Normal halogen bulbs don't care much whether it is 12VAC or 12VDC, but the LED version may have circuitry that assumes that that voltage coming in is AC.

Do you have a spec sheet for the LED replacement bulb? If the LED bulb is rated for 12VDC, then it should work.

important notes concerning the installation of LED bulbs
Excessive heat will cause LEDs to fail prematurely.
They must be operated in an ambient temperature,not exceeding room temperature, for maximum life time.
As the temperature rises above 23 degrees C, the life time goes down.
Active cooling, such as a small fan, may be required if they are installed in a small enclosed space without ventilation.
We do not make claims that these bulbs are drop-in replacements for all light fixtures with similar bulbs.
We always recommend powering them only with a 12 Volt DC regulated power supply.
Unregulated AC power supplies will often exceed the maximum voltage of these bulbs
and cause premature failure which is not covered by our warranty.
found this. sounds ok to me. anyone know different?

Please go for it. We need a guinea pig. :D

Seriously, other than heat build up issues, it should work. The new bulb should be using less power than your current halogen one. If you can manage to hold your halogen one in your hand after it has run a while, then you should be OK on the heat with the LED one ---- the rise over ambient temp will pretty much be directly proportional to the power drawn by the bulb.

I looked at a couple of other MR16 replacement specs and some had internal regulators and circuitry that were good for either AC or DC.

Others, like the one you quoted, were for DC only. That's good for you, but kind of scary for the general market because most people have just a dumb low voltage tranformer that feeds the low voltage lights with more or less 12VAC.

light is away for service at moment but when back will post results of change over

Back
Top Bottom