Halcyon Helios 18W vs. Salvo 21W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
How would you compare the following two lights (pros and cons):

-Halcyon Helios 9 Amp 18W HID
-Salvo 9 Amp 21W HID

Which would you get if price didn't matter?
Which would you get if the Halcyon was $800 and the Salvo $1100?
Would this change if getting the Salvo meant having to wait until Feb?
What do you think a good deal ($) would be on each of the above?

Thanks!

I held both these lights in my hand 2 weeks ago... and asked myself the very same question.

For me, it comes down to one simple thing. The Halcyon uses the Welch Allyn bulb. Therefore the Salvo would get my vote. Regardless of price. Both are excellent lights, but I know I tend to bang my gear around a bit and that will NOT work with the Halcyon.

I think the pricing you quoted is pretty fair. Is the Salvo price you quoted for NiMH or LiOn? And is it the drylid or the regular?

My salvo stays on my backplate in my dive bag. No special treatment, it gets tossed with the rest of the gear in the bag. No issues ever.
Brent

What does it mean?

"Would this change if getting the Salvo meant having to wait until Feb?"

PerroneFord:
I held both these lights in my hand 2 weeks ago... and asked myself the very same question.

Any noticeable differences in the canister sizes?

PerroneFord:
I think the pricing you quoted is pretty fair. Is the Salvo price you quoted for NiMH or LiOn? And is it the drylid or the regular?

Good questions. I don't know. How would either affect the price? I assime the latter battery will be more expensive.

The WA bulbs aren't as delicate as some think. Granted... you can't slam them onto the counter and expect them to be OK but they have proven to be purdy darn good. You know.. up until recently they were what everyone used. They have traveled all over the world and have been carted into some of the most difficult places by the toughest of the tough... and somehow they generally survive.

Stephen Ash:
The WA bulbs aren't as delicate as some think.

... and somehow they generally survive.

It's that "generally survive" that worries me at ~$200/bulb.

Same size canister.

LiON is more expensive. Drylid is more expensive.

-P

Rainer:
Any noticeable differences in the canister sizes?

Good questions. I don't know. How would either affect the price? I assime the latter battery will be more expensive.

Rainer:
LOL. It means I don't have an extra $300 lying around right now! :D

LOL~~~ I was wondering if any new light comes out in Feb... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom