Halcyon files for "DIR" Registered Trademark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
I think GQ WAS going to take a DIRF. I think that his first post was intended to be tongue in cheek and meant to be sarcastic. But after all the hits he's taken here I think that he might have a bad taste for DIR. I think that he is now less likely to try it out. If GQ wasn't anti-DIR before I can see how he might be anti-DIR now. I think that's a shame.

GQ, I think that you're a very funny, sharp witted and clever guy. I think that you really are interested in what you might get out of DIR because I think that you are very serious about diving in general.

I envy you. Ocean...sun...chicks...you got it all. You also have GUE training right in your own back yard. Look up MHK or Tamera and take a class. I think you'll have a blast...with or without the T.

How unfortunate it is that this venue often brings out the worst in us. I bet if we were all on a boat off the Channel Islands we would be diving our a$$es off, having a ball. I bet we would make some lasting friendships...and we could still disagree about things!

SA

This may be the most sensible thing ever posted up here!

It's a curious thing...
On the one hand, for the most part those who object to a trademark of "doing it right" being granted Halcyon aren't objecting to Halcyon or GUE or their diving philosophy, but rather to the mess such a trademark will create - lawsuits every time some other manufacturer or agency has the temerity to claim they're "doing it right" too... at the discretion, of course, of Halcyon's attorneys.
Defenders of the trademark application are quick to point out the frivolousness of such objections... it's only words, after all... and the obvious quality and veracity of both Halcyon and GUE in their claims that what they are doing is "doing it right." (the more vociferous [indoctrinated?] intimating that no one else could possibly be doing it right, so why the objection?)
In the first place, "doing it right" is a phrase so frequently and commonly used, and with such broad common application I doubt the trademark will be granted. Even in diving specifically IANTD has used the term officially in a 1997 paper on its own "Doing it Right" philosophy, and to my mind any agency should be free to claim that their way is the right one - they're "doing it right." A unique claim by Halcyon/GUE to the phrase (and the defacto authority to be the sole arbiter of what is right and the freedom to then claim that no one else is doing it right) is preposterous.
We shall see what happens, but my bet is the Trademark office will deny the request.
"DIR" on the other hand may well be granted, and will remain such a hot button among so many professional divers that it will assure GUE remains marginalized - and that useful debate about equipment, technique, and diving philosophy between DIR proponents and the rest of the diving community remains nigh impossible for the foreseeable future. As any freshman psychology student can tell you, you're not going to get very far in trying to make your point if you begin the discussion with "You're not doing it right."
Or as my Mama always said, "You can catch more flies with sugar than you can with vinegar." Unless, of course, you're only trying to catch vinegar flies.
Rick

its all about the money....... Never foget that

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
It's a curious thing...
On the one hand, for the most part those who object to a trademark of "doing it right" being granted Halcyon aren't objecting to Halcyon or GUE or their diving philosophy, but rather to the mess such a trademark will create - lawsuits every time some other manufacturer or agency has the temerity to claim they're "doing it right" too... at the discretion, of course, of Halcyon's attorneys.
Rick

Thanks for making that point. In trying to do it myself I've been misunderstood to the point of being labelled anti-DIR, which is far from the truth. I guess now I have to come to terms with my obvious lack of written expression skills. 8)

JohnF

uwsince79 once bubbled...
its all about the money....... Never foget that

Try explaining that one to GI3. I suspect he'll have some thoughts on that. I would even go so far as to say that JJ will disagree (sincerely) with your assessment of DIR as being only about the money. To those guys it's about staying alive in an incredibly hostile environment. No amount of money will buy your way out of a cavedive that's gone south. It's your skill and training, and that includes your gear choices, that will save yer butt.

JohnF

_IR as a dicipline may not be about the money, but don't kid yourself, filing to copyright that three letter combination is about nothing but money!

Of course every one here no doubt already knows that one of the co-founders of PADI was VP of US divers (Aqualung) for many years?

"PADI/Aqualung, the way the world learns to dive."

As far as I can tell, that's where the close ties (conflict of interest?) between training and equipment was developed and refined. If it bothers you, thiats the place to start.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Of course every one here no doubt already knows that one of the co-founders of PADI was VP of US divers (Aqualung) for many years?

"PADI/Aqualung, the way the world learns to dive."

As far as I can tell, that's where the close ties (conflict of interest?) between training and equipment was developed and refined. If it bothers you, thiats the place to start.
the *conflict of interest* issue is a red herring.

What really bothers folks is the suggestion they see implicit in "Dive Rite" that they "Dive Rong."

It is, of course, the height of narcissimm to think that the principals of GUE/Halcyon/WKPP/DIR are even aware of them much less care about how they dive.

Shoot... I wouldn't be aware of them if it weren't for all squawking they do here about their hurt feelings. And even at that I don't care how they dive... or if they actually dive other than on the internet.

:D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

It is, of course, the height of narcissimm to think that the principals of GUE/Halcyon/WKPP/DIR are even aware of them much less care about how they dive.

:D

I think they are aware of the state of the industry in general and JJ for one has tried to have a positive effect. I think he has and he's been able to make a buck at it to boot. I wish I could do that. LOL

scywin once bubbled...

I already said that I am inconsistent in my statements! :)

However, regarding the bungee there are threads I have read here of people having problems just putting a bungeed octo together. Also the whole point is to make the thing easy to find. I have no problem finding my Air2!

Just out of curiousity, have you trained for an air sharing situation where you donate your regulator, switch to your Air2, then make an ascent to the surface while continuing to donate air and use your Air2 as your primary regulator.

If so, would you mind posting about it?

If not, I'd be interested in hearing about it if you ever do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom