Halcyon files for "DIR" Registered Trademark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

the *conflict of interest* issue is a red herring.

It is, of course, the height of narcissimm to think that the principals of GUE/Halcyon/WKPP/DIR are even aware of them much less care about how they dive.
:D

Profundity squared.

uwsince79 once bubbled...
its all about the money....... Never foget that

Dude, with all the information in this thread, I can't believe this is the total sum of your thought process.

Like I pointed out, if it was about money, JJ wouldn't keep his line relatively pure, and his target market small.

I don't think Halcyon's a big money maker, JMHO, new company, specialize hi quality product, relatively competative pricing.

And I really don't think JJ's lacking for bucks, personally.

Lastly, if you ever met JJ, you'd find that his number one concern with DIR is promoting diver safety. It's the recurrent theme of DIR. That's why unlike other agency disciplines, DIR information is readily available, for free, world wide.

You can clearly be DIR without Halcyon, EE, or GUE.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Just out of curiousity, have you trained for an air sharing situation where you donate your regulator, switch to your Air2, then make an ascent to the surface while continuing to donate air and use your Air2 as your primary regulator.

If so, would you mind posting about it?

If not, I'd be interested in hearing about it if you ever do.

I've done that.

My SSI OW class back in 1988 was at a ScubaPro dealer, Lynnhaven Dive Center in Virginia Beach.

We were taught that the out of air diver does the bouyancy control for the ascent, but I found that with a little practice, I could manipulate the AIR2 and pull dump with the AIR2 in my mouth and do what needed to be done to keep myself under control. I really didn't like being completely dependant on someone who managed to run out of air.

It wasn't hard, but it did require some practice. There is more going on inside the AIR2 and you need to be aware of what it is doing.

I bought gear soon after and I haven't used an AIR2 since that class.

My BC doesn't have a pull dump at the inflation hose elbow. For me, it's easy as pie. I just breath the Air2 as i would a normal octo and I've practiced venting my BC with the right hand on the pull dump cord. Not that radically different from using the BC inflator/deflator overhead with the left hand.

I'm not arguing the Air2 is "better" than a plain old octo, but most criticisms of it come from non-Air2 users, and most Air2 users (even those who don't use them any longer) seem to be they're a breeze to use. I think most criticisms of it are nonsense, but that's just my opinion. I still think that a uniform configuration becomes much more critical in technical, team diving. Much more. I still think some DIR equipment (or all for that matter) can make a rec diving safer and more fun, though I realize you can't be partially DIR. It's like being a little bit pregnant.

But I think I've benefitted from their ideas and what gear configuration changes I've made, and I'm grateful for their thinking. I'm beginning to think I must be very odd because I'm not offended I can't put the DIR label on whatever configuration I want, yet I still like their ideas. I feel like if I was "normal" I should be offended my Air2 isn't considered DIR or something, lol. I, for one, like the DIR folks, because they have logical, well-reasoned, clearly-articulated ideas that have benefitted me.

Thanks, DIR guys! And I'm not a wannabe, insofar as I'm not a DIR pretender, nor do I feel compelled to make further gear changes--at least right now. But the DIR Fundamentals book has really challenged my thinking and motivated me to practice and dive differently.

I guess the labels must mean a lot more to some folks in ways that maybe I simply can't understand because of my personal makeup.

JohnCollins once bubbled...
I, for one, like the DIR folks, because they have logical, well-reasoned, clearly-articulated ideas that have benefitted me.

the DIR Fundamentals book has really challenged my thinking and motivated me to practice and dive differently.

I guess the labels must mean a lot more to some folks in ways that maybe I simply can't understand because of my personal makeup.
What we have here is a demonstration of thinkers and feelers.

When confronted with ideas a thinker thinks.

A feeler doesn't even see the idea... they emote based upon how the presentation of the idea made them feel.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
What we have here is a demonstration of thinkers and feelers.

When confronted with ideas a thinker thinks.

A feeler doesn't even see the idea... they emote based upon how the presentation of the idea made them feel.

thank gosh for the thinkers and the feelers. The world would be an awfully boring place without one or the other IMO.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Just out of curiousity, have you trained for an air sharing situation where you donate your regulator, switch to your Air2, then make an ascent to the surface while continuing to donate air and use your Air2 as your primary regulator.

If so, would you mind posting about it?
Sure,
No problem.
It works.
Did you have a specific question on technique or procedure?
(what does this have to do with a Halcyon trademark application?)
Rick

What amazes me is that they will even consider allowing Helcyon to trade mark DIR, which is obviously already in the public domain.

Mmm Think I'll trade mark STOP and the red Octogon shape you see it printed on at street corners. (joking of course)

Mike D

mddolson once bubbled...
What amazes me is that they will even consider allowing Helcyon to trade mark DIR, which is obviously already in the public domain.

Mmm Think I'll trade mark STOP and the red Octogon shape you see it printed on at street corners. (joking of course)

Mike D

Thanks for taking the time to read the whole thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom