Halcyon files for "DIR" Registered Trademark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude...

Yes, I have. "Doing it right" is a phrase that has been used for YEARS before it was something Halcyon slapped on thier gear. Was there a point to that question or was this just another handjob from cyberspace?

Seaquest patenting "Stroke approved" OMG! Now THAT'S funny!

Stroke Power!

MASS-Diver once bubbled...

Dude, haven't you ever seen any Halycon gear? Most of it (like my BP) says "The Doing It Right Company" all over it. So, why are so shocked that they would trade mark it? How could they make it more plain that they are maketing this gear specifially as DIR? They print it on the stuff!

Maybe seaquest should patent "Stroke Approved"

GQMedic once bubbled...
Oh, I'll brew something fun up next. I am seriously considering a DIR-F class, but I'll be the one wearing a t-shirt that says in bold print "STROKE POWER" just for the weird looks I'll get in abundance.

http://www.divegirl.com/diw.html

I got -all- the dirt.

You're makin' me smile again!

Where do you get this stuff?

"You funny guy, mista!"

SA

Ok,

You have points here that are valid.

My gripe is making the phrase "Doing it right" being JJ's exclusive "thing".

I knew I would get flamed for speaking out against it. So, it's exactly what I expected. The thread has taken so many different directions, it's challenging to stay in target with what my gripe was originally. I knew personal attacks would be a part of what I'd see in reply, but, hey, I'm pretty thick skinned.

Ok, your right, JJ is not where the bulk of the DIR commandos are coming from. But, the commandos do DIR a great disservice with thier comments. Instead of showing divers what they believe is a "better way" to do things, non DIR divers are hammered with the name "Stroke" and far worse.

Don Burke once bubbled...

Actually, that isn't what I said.

That's where the misunderstanding is coming from. Registering a trademark is much different than patenting something.

I haven't seen any crowing about this.

That was _precisely_ what you stated in your first message in this thread.

Back to the more recent message:

Don't invest any money in that theory. The registration of the trademark isn't a patent.

I attempted (crappy viz so we called it) a dive with a couple of people Saturday and as soon as they saw my Halcyon backplate and wing, they apparently half-expected me to turn into Charles Manson on them. I wasn't active on this board for the big DIR wars and I'd rather not rekindle them.

JJ isn't where the DIR commandos are coming from. It appears to be coming from George Irvine III's list appearance (as distinguished from George in one-on-one email or in person) and some zealots who have found an excuse to be self-righteous. They don't represent JJ or GUE and they don't represent me.

I've never taken a GUE course, although I am a member of GUE. I dive very closely to DIR. I would be glad to give my personal opinions on any diving subject, but I'm not a spokesman for anyone but myself.

This thread seems to be hanging on a misunderstanding of what the documents filed by Halcyon mean. I've looked the information over and it doesn't match what some are presenting here.

It's become a cross between Mad Magazine and Dive Training of which I am pleased to be a member of "the cast". Saturday night like has nothing on THIS thread!

Too bad Chris Farley passed on, he'd be great in this thread.

Friggincold once bubbled...
please put coke alerts up when you get into these mindless pi$$ing contests....you have to stop my sides are hurting from laughing so much.....the educational value of this board has gone down dramatically but boy the entertainment value and laughs is rising:):)

Did you even READ my post? *dubious look*

Yeah, I'll rehearse my part in Charlotte's web for my comunity theatre just as soon as you change your tag to "Clueless in Ohio".

We're not talking about "The Real Thing" Mr. Cosby...

We're talking about "Doing It Right" which means is this is a copywrited phrase for Halcyon, and any other piece of gear now Halcyon will make "Scuba Steve" (Insert name of diver here) using Dive Rite or other "Doing It Wrong". That's my point. Hello?? Mc Fly!!!

Melodramatics? Right on!, re-read the above! I've imbedded plenty... How do you like me NOW?

wb416 once bubbled...

There's a difference between having gear from a mfg that is suitable for use in a DIR configuration, and gear that can be advertised as DIR. It's called marketing.

Obviously, certain DUI TLS suits will be an acceptable part of the DIR configuration for the foreseeable future, but they won't be able to advertise them as DIR. Likewise Pepsi can't call their soda "The Real Thing" since Coke has that marketing line.

Quit majoring on the minor and move on to what's important... or continue practicing for your local community theatre with more displays of melodramatics...

GQMedic once bubbled...
I WANT THAT SHIRT
I think you should order the shirt... then send a picture of yourself wearing the shirt along with a list of all your dive acomplishments to divegirl as they request on their website.

But I still don't think you should bother with a DIRf... especially if it is just to spite me.

And I do you really need to wear a shirt that says "stroke power" to a DIRf to get weird looks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom