Halcyon ACB 10 orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cram

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently picked up a pair of the Halcyon ACB 10 weight pockets. These are the newer vertical orientation pockets, unlike the horizontal ACB 20 and ACB 12.

I've been under the impression that these should be placed with the opening of the pockets facing down, but now I'm not sure if that's right. The Halcyon BC manual only describes installing the ACB 20 and ACB 12.

The reason this is important is that I've had problems with the weight pouch falling out of the pockets on nearly every dive. They're still held on by the strap so I'm not too worried about the weight actually ditching, but the dangling pouches throw my balance off and are probably an entaglement hazard. I'm wondering if this would stop happening if I flipped the pockets around so they were facing up.

Does anybody know what the correct orientation for these pockets is? And if they really are supposed to be pointing down, any tips for preventing the weights from falling out?

The new ones do orient vertically (the waist webbing can only be thredded through the slide lock one way). However, I'm a little unsure on how the pouch is able to slide-out? With the 2" webbing and clip, it would seem a little difficult. I used to use the older 12lb system and with the 2" strap and clip there was no way for the pouch to come out. I haven't used the 10lb system, so maybe something is different. Got any pics of your rig?

I guess what I mean is which vertical direction, ie. does the pouch face up or down. It will slide on both ways (I've just tried flipping it so it faces up), and the slide lock seems to work in either direction, although I may very well be wrong about that.

As for the pouch falling out, the weight slips to one side of the strap. When I examine it dry, it seems like that would be unlikely but almost without fail it sneaks out when I get in the water, often while still doing a surface swim.

I'll try to take some pics and get them uploaded in a few minutes...

....I've got 3 BC's that I've built or retrofitted with the new Halcyon ACB 10 lbs VERTICAL release weight pockets this year...and YES, most definitely, they are meant to be oriented such that the pocket inserts (containing lead) would slip out/release from the bottom....just squeeze the fastex buckles and the weights release. Check out halcyon.net , they have photos of how the pockets are supposed to be mounted, if you don't believe me.

You don't need to take pics, I see what you mean now. The pouches openings are meant to face down. I meant one-way because the pouch with the D-ring is meant to go on the left side. I had forgotten that with the older 12lb-20lb systems the way the pocket was designed, it actually had a curve in the pouch that would hold the lead in even when I was pointing head down. With these new pockets, I can now see that a weight could slip out. Halcyon makes these pockets for us non-technical divers and they may just have not thought it through. You could go with a different weight pocket, or just simply get some velcro and sew it in to the pouch opening. First, I would either email or call Halcyon and let them know your issue and what can be done.

ON EDIT: Know that I think about it, the old pouches had a flap with velcro on it, these new ones don't?

You don't need to take pics, I see what you mean now. The pouches openings are meant to face down. I meant one-way because the pouch with the D-ring is meant to go on the left side. I had forgotten that with the older 12lb-20lb systems the way the pocket was designed, it actually had a curve in the pouch that would hold the lead in even when I was pointing head down. With these new pockets, I can now see that a weight could slip out. Halcyon makes these pockets for us non-technical divers and they may just have not thought it through. You could go with a different weight pocket, or just simply get some velcro and sew it in to the pouch opening. First, I would either email or call Halcyon and let them know your issue and what can be done.

ON EDIT: Know that I think about it, the old pouches had velcro on them, these new ones don't?

...for the record, I don't think Halcyon designs/markets ANY of it's products for the recreational diver...I'm hard pressed to think of another scuba gear manufacturer more tech diver oriented than Halcyon...so somehow I'm doubting Halcyon failed to 'think it through".

FishOutUvH2O: I think I've been calling "pouches" what you call "pockets" and vice versa. The part that directly contains the lead (my "pouch") does indeed have velcro, and I've never had the lead fall out of it. The part that attaches to the BC webbing is my "pocket", and my problem is that the pouch is falling out of the pocket.

scubafanatic: Thanks, it's good to know that I've had the pockets the correct way so far, but now after looking at those pictures on Halcyon's website I'm even more confused about the pouches falling out. The pictures seem to show that the clip strap goes over the pouch handle, rather than through it. If this is the correct way then I have a much bigger problem, because now when the pouch falls out, it's completely loose, and I'm suddenly 5lbs more buoyant.

Here's how I have it set up normally, with and without the pouch having fallen out.
Picasa Web Albums - Dustin - Weight Pockets.

...I wonder if hard weights would work better than soft weights ? ...I haven't dove my systems as of yet, but just thinking out loud....maybe the soft weights are 'flowing' their way past the 'straps' ?

FishOutUvH2O: I think I've been calling "pouches" what you call "pockets" and vice versa. The part that directly contains the lead (my "pouch") does indeed have velcro, and I've never had the lead fall out of it. The part that attaches to the BC webbing is my "pocket", and my problem is that the pouch is falling out of the pocket.

scubafanatic: Thanks, it's good to know that I've had the pockets the correct way so far, but now after looking at those pictures on Halcyon's website I'm even more confused about the pouches falling out. The pictures seem to show that the clip strap goes over the pouch handle, rather than through it. If this is the correct way then I have a much bigger problem, because now when the pouch falls out, it's completely loose, and I'm suddenly 5lbs more buoyant.

Here's how I have it set up normally, with and without the pouch having fallen out.
Picasa Web Albums - Dustin - Weight Pockets.
My bad! I should have been paying better attention to whether I meant to type pocket or pouch, the words aren't interchangeable in this case. Anywhooo! In looking at the pictures it appears that the buckle strap has far more slack in it when buckled than the older models had. If it's possible, see if you can take some of the slack out of the webbing that secures the male side of the buckle to the pocket by putting a small fold in the webbing then securing it temporarily with a safety pin (or some other method). Making sure that you can still close the buckle without to much tension. Then see if the pouch is still able to come out. With my older 6lb pocket there is just no way for the pouch to slide out of the pocket regardless of whether I used a soft or hard weight. I couldn't even pull the empty pouch out of the pocket with no weight in it, even after soaking the pocket and pouch (I just tried).

Back
Top Bottom