Halcyon ACB 10 orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some of the new ACB weight pockets/pouches and they are indeed designed where the pocket opening is facing down. While I haven't had the problems that you speak of, I found that it is quite difficult to reload one of the down mounted pouches while wearing thick gloves and suit. Due to this issue I have tried mounting them up and they seem to work fine in this orientation and they are much easier to reload the pockets in the water.

FYI, I have only used the hard lead weights, I could see how the soft lead shot weights could squirm their way out especially if you only had a small amount of weight in the pouch.

Best Regards,

I have the older ones and prefer them. I've had no issues with the weight accidentally coming out.

My son has the newer ones - his weights keep coming out; it doesn't matter if he used soft or hard weights. I suspect if they are full, they might stay in, but they definitely do not with either 2 or 4 lbs in them. The older ones had a plastic insert in the weight pocket that probably helped keep it in place.

He's using mine now...

John

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I tried putting a twist in the straps yesterday, which seemed to help a bit, but one side still fell out eventually. I think I'm going to try flipping the pockets so they face upwards next time, even though that's not the way they're supposed to be. I'll also try giving Halcyon a call tonight and see if they have any suggestions.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I tried putting a twist in the straps yesterday, which seemed to help a bit, but one side still fell out eventually. I think I'm going to try flipping the pockets so they face upwards next time, even though that's not the way they're supposed to be. I'll also try giving Halcyon a call tonight and see if they have any suggestions.

...please let us know what Halcyon says.....I'm also wondering how to retrofit my pocket inserts with some sort of 'stiffing' material, kinda like what Halcyon uses for their mask pockets ?

So I finally called Halcyon today regarding this, and they are aware of the issue and are now selling these with a rigid insert for the pouch that is supposed to prevent the pouch from falling out of the pocket. They're sending me the inserts so I will post back with the results after they arrive and I have a chance to try them out.

Last edited:
So I finally called Halcyon today regarding this, and they are aware of the issue and are now selling these with a rigid insert for the pouch that is supposed to prevent the pouch from falling out of the pocket. They're sending me the inserts so I will post back with the results after they arrive and I have a chance to try them out.
I'm glad you're getting it sorted-out. Adding what you just said about a design flaw in the ACB10, coupled with the recent Halcyon recall(http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/manufacturers-recall-notices/306297-halcyon-issues-recall.html). I sincerely hope this run of quality issues ends quickly. The only reason I was willing to pay that much for gear was because of Halcyon equipments demonstrated quality and toughness in some of the most demanding dive environments out there. If they lose that reputation, they have nothing to justify those prices and I certainly won't buy their equipment again.

I have the same weight pockets and have seen when I have a small amount of soft weights in the pockets that they can slip out. Using hard weights or five pound soft weights, this does not seem to be a problem. I was diving with two pounds per side, and due to the small nature of the weights, the punch slipped through, still held by the buckle.

Can't wait to hear about the inserts, might have to call and ask (or make my own).

...been following this thread with interest.....are the rigid inserts 'loose' and just slip into the weight pouches......or are the 'new' pouches designed like my Halcyon masket pockets which have a hard/rigid backing sown inside the back side of the pocket ? Ideally, I'd prefer pockets with the permanent hard backing...versus having a 'loose' insert that's just begging to fall out/get lost....but.....I'd still prefer a loose insert over no insert at all.

Thanks,

Karl

somewhat unconventional suggestion:
why bother with those complicated and expensive pockets, especially if several people experience weights sneaking out?
just use XS Scuba pockets: very simple and cheap, never ever lost a weight, much easier to reload (important during vacation when you need to reload every day on the boat)

somewhat unconventional suggestion:
why bother with those complicated and expensive pockets, especially if several people experience weights sneaking out?
just use XS Scuba pockets: very simple and cheap, never ever lost a weight, much easier to reload (important during vacation when you need to reload every day on the boat)
I also use and like the XS Scuba pockets (5lb max. Quick Release) and they are easy to use and inexpensive. But, they're not what I would use or recommend if you're going to actually put 5lbs in there. The velcro is OK, but that's all that's holding that weight in there. I use 2lbs in there, so the loss of a weight will just be annoying, not an "A-Ticket" ride to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom