Hair Management?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there fellow hair raisers...
Well, I had all good intentions of trying out various new and improved methods for stowing my hair on my recent trip, and failed miserably. I seemed to plump for the knotted mass of coconut mesh at the nape of my neck! Kind of by default really... oops.
I had wanted to try the conditioner thing, then thought better of it as I didn't want to clog up the poor fishes' gills with gunk. I do have a bandana, however like you mention Susan, they don't stretch and have a habit of falling off. I also tend to look a bit like the lead singer from Guns and Roses when I wear one, which really isn't a good thing for a girlie is it? :wacko:
Well, I am now back on firm ground, so will have to wait until my next trip before I get adventurous, I shall be taking a look at the various Do rag sites in the meantime for sure!

My hair is pretty long, so I braid it and cover my hair in a cheap conditioner (while my hair is wet) and tuck my braid into my suit and put my hood on. not only does the conditioner prevent my hair from being a ratty mess after a couple dives, but the dried conditione helps keep wlittle whispy hairs from sneaking out of my hood and into my mask making it leak. I have a neoprene mask strap for when not using a hood, that helps too.

I have hot read anything about you ladies using a hood. My wife uses a Henderson Microprene hood. We only dive in the tropics so it works for her. She recently cut her hair a bit shorter and I bought her a Squid Cap which was mentioned earlier in this thread. She likes the hood the best.

I read all the posts on this thread and am adding my .02.
I used to have very long hair (to my butt), it is very fine but tons of it. No matter how I put it up it was a rats nest at the end of the dive- 1 braid, french braid, pony tail, ponytail with bands the whole way down. I tried conditioner, but it rinsed itself out in a few minutes of divng. I finally chopped it all off and now am much happier. I get it cut short in the spring, dive the summer, and let it grow out/put up with the longer hair for winter diving.
My biggest problem with the long hair and even the shorter hair is it "wiggles" under water and jiggles the strap on the back of my head resulting in my mask coming loose/water in mask.

5615Mike, the hood sounds like a good idea or the squid cap of which I have not heard of. I am a warm water diver, so the thought of a hood is worse than the tangles!

I think shaving my head would work...

5615mike once bubbled...
I have hot read anything about you ladies using a hood. My wife uses a Henderson Microprene hood. We only dive in the tropics so it works for her. She recently cut her hair a bit shorter and I bought her a Squid Cap which was mentioned earlier in this thread. She likes the hood the best.
Mike,

Yep, I have a spandex hood that I often wear now. It does the trick, and keeps my hair from turning into a rat's nest. I can barely feel it, but I still hate the way it looks.
I realize it's a stupid reason for not wanting to wear it, but after all, as Lorenzo says, it is better to look good than to feel good. :D

http://www.squidwear.com/

Gals,

Try this website. Hats work pretty well but my wife still prefers the microprene hood for tropical diving.

Hair management can be a challenge!

I have very thick and long dreadlocks that go 3/4 of the way down my back. The water around here is pretty cold so I have to get some kind of hood but even the extra-large doesn't fit accommodate my hair too well.

Right now I am trying to have a custom suit built that is 2-piece where the top piece is like a no-sleeve shorty with an attached hood (zipper across the chest to take the hood off). The other piece is a regular full-suit. The hood will have to be extra large with the stripe in a hyperstretch type of material. I hope it works and I hope I don't look too much like an alien-head in the suit!

This is the best choice I could think of...what do you think?

Raposa

I too have very long hair (it reaches my butt!) I have a hair glove (from www.hairglove.com) and I love it. It was only about $10 too. Keeps my hair out of my face and also makes boat rides more fun! No tangled hair here!! Take a peek at the site. The cycle series are the ones good for diving.

Heather.=-)

I don't have time to read this whole thread, off to work. But...

The hair glove.

Best thing sincle sliced bread. My hair is thick and down to my waist (I am 6' tall, so that is a LOT of hair). I suffered horribly when diving and tried a lot of options.

I had the hair glove for motorcycle riding and figured I would try it.

I love it!

Take a long a little leave in conditioner for after and you are home free!

(Sorry if this was already suggested)

http://www.hairglove.com/

Hairglove is the way to go.

Leather for the motorcycle.
Neoprene for the water.

As a second option, a tight braid tucked in the back of your wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom