Hair Management?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading this thread a few weeks ago ( and not knowing where to buy a do-rag locally), I went to the local swimwear shop and bought a lycra cap. It looks like a swim cap, but it's swimsuit material. Hence, no hairpulling! I needed it for my ow class because my hair is very layered, and I kept pulling it out on my snorkel keeper. Also, kept getting into my mask skirt, making it impossible for my mask to stay dry. I look ridiculous, but IT WORKS :D ! The side benefit is that when I was in Monterey with about 100 other students in black wetsuits and hoods, my dive buddy could see my bright purple cap. BTW, it did not come off when I took off my hood afterward, either. No need for tangle control, because it kept that from happening, too. I really loved it. Especially for only $10!

OK.... I LIKE IT!

These "Dee-rags" may just be the answer I too have been looking for...
I have short to medium length hair and have always had trouble with my hair being in my face during a dive...
I may have to give one of those babies a try... Not so sure I would look to great in one... But... No one really looks terrific while diving anyway...

Unfortunately, my hair is in that really nasty in between stage. I had to cut it back in Feb. beacuse of medical reasons, and for those same reasons its just not growing out fast enough for my liking.

It is barely long enough to put into a pony tail under ideal circumstances and the barettes/elastics refuse to stay on in the water. I am looking for a strap I like for my mask but other than that I have NO CLUE what to do with my hair in the water. Right now its just free flowing for lack of a better word LOLOL

Laurel

Hi
My hair is not late long but what i find really good is if you put your hair in a ponytail and then putting bobbles every two or three inches along it until you reach the end, the longer your hair the more bobbles, however it really keep your hair together relatively knot free and out of the way.

The best bobbles i find are those small elastic ones you buy in pack of 10 or more from your local chemist.

If all fails you could go bald

Catt

Catt once bubbled...
Hi
My hair is not late long but what i find really good is if you put your hair in a ponytail and then putting bobbles every two or three inches along it until you reach the end, the longer your hair the more bobbles, however it really keep your hair together relatively knot free and out of the way.

The best bobbles i find are those small elastic ones you buy in pack of 10 or more from your local chemist.

If all fails you could go bald

Catt

I'm sorry Catt... But... What are bobbles???

Thanks... Karen
:confused:

Hi,

I have a very silly question to ask, after reading this entire thread. I start my open water pool class tonight and was wondering if a swim cap will be a distraction when we do the “clearing the mask” exercise. I swim on a regular basis and my hair is notorious for turning green and becoming more damaged from chlorine (processed from black to light brown), plus I’d like my hair to be out of the way so that there are no distractions while I’m taking the class. Sorry, silly question, I know, but I had to ask.

Mel

I woudln't think you would have a problem... not any more than you would with a hood. You'll just have to be careful to check the skirt of your mask if you sense a leak, to make sure that there isn't any material under the rubber. Just simply putting your finger under the cap on your forehead and running it around the edge should suffice... if it even sits low enough to get in the way.

If it comes down far enough on your forehead that it has to be under the mask [don't know, never used one], you might still be able to get a decent seal on it; I know a buddy of mine has a neoprene ice diving mask that he uses so that his mask will seal on his lip [with his big handlebar mustache]. The neoprene mask makes a decent enough seal against the skirt of his mask.

You can always draw a bath and test it out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom