Hair Management?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have long hair and I have been trying different ways to get it to stay put. When it gets loose and floats in front of my mask, I just want to take some scissors to it!!

However, I have found that a modified pony tail seems to do the trick. I use the kind where you pull up the front section and put it in a pony tail (like one does in a barret), pull up a little more - another band, etc. So it looks like a chain. Works pretty well for me.

As for the conditioner, I use Infusium while combing it out once I am done for the day.

astrl :)

I french braid Sabetha's hair when I get the chance, it makes all the difference. She has hair down to just above her hiney.

The french braid seems to work the best.

-Dennis
SueMermaid once bubbled...
I know this sounds dumb, but I don't know what do do with my hair when I dive!
I have very long hair, and can't seem to find a way to manage it when diving. If I left it loose, it'd get tangled in everything. A ponytail does the same. A braid will get compressed and then loosen, so it gets stuck on my tank valve/reg. (all of these result in ripped out, damaged hair). A bun always comes out, no matter how carefully I put it up. (I have lost more than one scrunchy on a pristine reef). :upset: A hood makes it manageable, (but looks ridiculous--the top of my head has a point cause that's where my hair goes).
I don't want to wear a hood in the tropics!
And you don't have to have long hair to know firsthand what damage the water does to it. It's always knotty and dried out after a day of SW diving. (thank God for Nexxus Humectress).
What do you long-haired divers do?

Dee once bubbled...
I can agree about the doo-rags, or in my case Dee-Rags!

I use to have very long hair. Back then I did the same as H2OPrincess and put my hair in two braids (Pippy Longstockings style) and that helped keep everything in place. But, I still had the stragglers that always managed to annoy the heck out of me & had no real way to get rid of them (without yanking them out).

Recently I cut my hair short (love it by the way). Now it is too short to tie back & therefore is always in my face underwater. But, Kim & I went diving with Walter this weekend and he let us use a couple of Dee's D-Rags. Awesome! Granted they aren't the most becoming on me but who cares? They kept my hair out of my face and manageable! If only she still sold the chili pepper print!

kjunheart once bubbled...
Recently I cut my hair short (love it by the way). Now it is too short to tie back & therefore is always in my face underwater. But, Kim & I went diving with Walter this weekend and he let us use a couple of Dee's D-Rags.

My hair is about the same length as your and floats all around my face - hadn't thought about using Dee's "Rags" ..... no problems popping off when you take your mask off?? May have to look into this as an option!!

kjunheart once bubbled...

But, Kim & I went diving with Walter this weekend and he let us use a couple of Dee's D-Rags. Awesome! Granted they aren't the most becoming on me but who cares? They kept my hair out of my face and manageable! If only she still sold the chili pepper print!

I am going to disagree with kjun....it looks very good on you.

Does one wear one's mask over the Dee-Rag (breaking the mask seal) or does one wear the Dee-Rag high on the forehead, and mask on the face. (Dee's website suggests the former, but does not say so outright.)

Also, is a Dee-Rag long enough to hold rather thick hair at mid-back length?

Dee, are you listening??? :)

DM

Dee once bubbled...
I can agree about the doo-rags, or in my case Dee-Rags!

I think Dee is on vacation or something.

DM & Kat, If you look at the picture, I had the D-rag in the same place when I had my mask on. Taking the mask on and off wasn't that difficult...I just held the front of the D-rag in place while I positioned my mask. Because of the placement & the seal (?) of my mask, I had no problems with leakage. There were only a couple of small edges that the mask would have overlapped the D-rag so I just tucked the mask underneath & voila! Efficiency at its best!

I don't see why longer/thicker hair should be a problem. The back of the rag has a "beaver tail" with ties. I would think you could just wrap the ties around the base/bulk of your hair & then tie. That way it would keep it nicely bound while also keeping it out of your face.

I had worn one on another dive with Walter, but I only wore it on the boat and didn't wear it in the water. I liked not having my hair blowing all over the place in the wind because it gets very curly & frizzy when it goes au natural! Last weekend was my first dive with it and now plan on ordering a few! Also, a friend of mine tried to tell me that it would be easy to make or that I could buy one from somewhere else. Maybe, but, the D-rags have almost a headband effect on them that I think keeps them in place plus they don't feel like a soggy wet rag on your head when you get out of the water. The doo-rags I have seen don't come close.

Good luck!

PS Thanks Big-T :embarr:

Dee (and some of the other Texas Swamp Diving Team) are all off in CoCo View, Roatan (major jealousy issues!!!) They left last Saturday, so I think they get back this Saturday. Kjun - in the pix you can see the headband section, so I'm sure that helps with the fit. Maybe if you ask, she can find some more chili pepper print for you!!

p.s. - was that "THE (infamous) Walter" that I see posting all over in the Pix? If so, it's nice to put a face with a name ......:wink:

I have to agree with Jep on this one. Dee Rags seem like a cool product but we've all watched Dee run around and bark at people trying to sell their own items. Sorry Dee, but what gives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom