Hair Management?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same problem. My hair is just past my shoulders but is incredibly THICK. Before we head out I wet it, comb through completely, and put gobs of conditioner in it. Then just comb through it again and pull back into ponytail or braid. Works wonders and makes life so much easier at the end of the day.

Biolage Matrix Conditioning Balm, I believe beats the others hands down.

I have over 3000+ dives, have had my thick hair every length from down to my bum to my current super short do and have tried what seems like 1000's of brands and types. This is the very best of the lot.

I put it in before I leave for the dive, dive and sun all day then usually give a quick fresh water rinse from the hose as I wash down my gear and am all ready to head out to the pub or for dinner. Of course, nothing beats a real shower, but sometimes you just gotta GO!

I also carry a small tube of it with me on the boat in case it is just one of those days and I need a little something more. I have found that adding just a little and then combing while wet (even from salt water) still works well.

I have also switched to an Extreme Polartec hooded vest that I wouldn't trade for anything. When my hair was long I could simply pull the hood over and the hair hung down my back and was kept in place by the vest part. With this short do it's even better.

2 cents :)

alcina is right. it's the best, bar none. and not unreasonably priced.

:wink:

But it is not very environment-friendly to use conditioner when diving (same for sun-lotion etc). Of course you could say it doesn´t really matter because of the masses of toxics going into the sea/rivers/lakes all the time, but then...

i use a modified "squid cap" in the tropics to tame the underwater fly-aways. i have the one with the open, adjustable (velcro) back closure which i removed the annoying baseball cap style brim from (flubs around in the water too much). also will need to cut or hot-nail a small hole in the top to vent air just like any other hood. i see other women (and men) using lycra hoods on our live-aboards to tame the hair and protect skin - so you might try that as well.
i pull my pony tail thru the back opening of the squiddie (created by the velcro closure) which anchors it down pretty well, esp. once you add the mask strap over the top. when my hair is on the longer side, i use an extra hair tie every few inches to keep the ponytail from tangling in the hoses. the best hair ties for diving IMHO are those no-tangle teflon coated ones from the drug store (look like a clear rubber band - also come in black i think) i never have a problem with slipping (like a scrunchy) or tangling (especially after adding infusium or other conditioner prior to diving as others have mentioned).

hope that helps,
lorien :)

I'll ask the obvious... why is that Jep guy following you all around the boards like a puppy dog? :confused:

This guys so close on your tail, if you make a quick stop, well... :rolleyes:

Watch out, Dee. After all, it is Jep, and as you know, his attitude can turn on a dime!

:D :D :D

sealife once bubbled...
...Watch out, Dee. After all, it is Jep, and as you know, his attitude can turn on a dime!
:D :D :D

Jep? Jep who? :D :eek:ut:

Ahem......well, moving right along....

I have terrible problems with my hair!! I have to deal with the latex seals on my drysuit, and it is painful! I have tried putting my hair in a bun, braiding, ponytails....etc, but it always seems at the end of the dive my hair is a frazzled mess. No matter what kind of elastic I use, it becomes snared in my hair, and most times I have to either rip it out, or cut it!

I am going to try the Matrix stuff - maybe if I slather my hair with it, then braid it, I might have some luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom