Haigh Quarry Thursday June 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey just wanted to say the diving was good great to meet everybody the food was good but unfortunately we didn't have any gatorade to drink cuz somebody left us gatoradeless thanks Jason. The water was not to cold the viz was ok in some spots and great in others so lucky I will start a post next week about doing it again next thursday and see who can make it out ok again it was great to meet all the new freinds thanks everybody for a great morning. Dale

Great diving yesterday. I put together a video of some of the dives. Have no idea how to post it on here.:dork2: Maybe Jep can figure that out, since he doesn't seem to be into diving all that much.:rofl3: I do have it on my facebook. Thanks for a great day everyone.

Today started out with thunder lightning and rain. Lots of rain. I looked up weather.com to see what was happening at the quarry and it looked like it was going to clear up no later than 11 so I posted that I was coming to the quarry no matter what. One dive is better than no dives and if the rain started again, I would end the day with a smile no matter what. So after my morning meeting, I jumped in the car for my 45 minute trek to the quarry.

Upon my arrival, I was in smelling range of JBres1 who was carrying a dead big mouth bass that he found in the quarry. Woo wee, that was a nasty smelling thing. After checking in with Tina, I headed over to the parking area. Apparently, Diver Dale, Big Dork Peter and JBres1 already got a dive in once the rain stopped. After I started gearing up, ReallyDG and Dwightfire arrived with their posse of 5 divers in tow.

After a bit of typical surface interval banter, we all kitted up and started toward the water. ReallyDG put a 3 mil clown costume JBres1 and I were the last to get in the water as we were BS-ing with Diver Dale. Dale sat this one out so he could start the grill since we were having a meet and eat dive day. After all of us got in the water and buddied up, I lead the dive with Big Dork Peter. Since the new group of divers had not been to the quarry before, the plan was to give them a tour by dropping down at the road and heading to the Flamingo, then to the LARC, then to the pickup truck. After a few minutes of playing around on the Flamingo, I looked off to the side of the boat and noticed that the viz was pretty good and for the first time of hitting the boat, I noticed a statue sitting in a rock mound on the part side of the stern. The statute was of a lady and was just sitting there and was quit a surprise to me. On most days this statue would not be visible and that is probably why I have never seen it before. So since I was getting a little cold, I rounded up the gang and start to head toward the LARC. We swam over the riding lawn mower (which I then knew that we were going in the right direction) and found the LARC a few minutes later. We got to the LARC and everybody had a good look around. Then we headed to Marine Truck. I knew it was close but was not to trusting in my compass skills but we made it anyway. I was a little off and had I not been looking around, or if the viz was normal, I would not have been able to see it. At this point, we had no game plan so I decided to just swim along until we found the road. Well I just keep going and going and we ended up at the East Wall. Since I knew this was wrong and some of out divers were going to need to surface for air soon, I called it and went to the surface. At this point I saw where we were and talked to the group that we had left. The revised plan was to head west and hit the road and take the road in. However, I did not trust my compass all that much and we ended up at the Fishery, in the far Northeast Corner of the quarry. At this point, I just give up. I have no idea where we are going and I cant seem to trust my compass, even though I know it works since I led the earlier part of the dive. JBres1 took over and we swam to the rock crusher and followed the wall to the road were we exited nicely. Total dive time was 50 minutes with 50 degree water temp at the lowest with probably 30 feet viz at the attractions. Great dive, lots of fun.

During the surface interval, we got to taste Diver Dale’s down home grilling. I say down home because the burnt brats looked about the same way my down home cooking comes out. JK. The food was great. We had a nice spread of Burgers, Brats, Potato Salad, Mashed Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Macaroni Salad, Cookies, Chips, and Cake. Peter brought Bananas and Veggie Hot Dogs but I was not man enough to even ask to try it.

The next dive was planned to drop off at the west platform go out to the south wall until someone reached 1500 psi which at that point we would turn around and head back. JBres1 and I were hanging in the back just keeping an eye on the crowd below. ReallyDG was in charge of the other guys with us. I was hanging along the wall at 35 feet for most of the dive. I was looking for the crayfish that I was told I would find if I just watched long enough. There was no time to stare at the wall since we had a group of divers who were on a mission to see as much as they could so after about 20 minutes, we turned around and headed back the way we came. Once we got to the south platform, JBres1 and I left the group since they needed to surface and continued on the dive. As we got around the west wall, we saw the flamingo and the swim-through tube which we both decided to partake in. At the end of the swim through we noticed the archeological site that was put in. So after looking around and Roman Columns, Statues, the brick paved road and the vases and urns, we headed off to follow the wall along the road. As the wall turns, we saw the statue of the little boy. We continued on our path were we got to the platform and Jim was practicing his buoyancy with a few less pounds. It looked like he was still pretty good to me. At this point we called the dive and headed to the road. As we got to the road, I noticed that the fish seemed to be making craters in the sand. It seemed like there was one fish for each crater so I assume that they are making a nesting spot to lay their eggs. That is probably not the best place to do it since lots of new divers will mess with their spots but since I cant talk to the fish, and I just started diving at the quarry, they might know something that I don’t know. JBres1 and I followed the road in and at 6 feet depth, it was time to surface. We ended the dive at 60 minutes with a pretty decent vix along the wall. The lowest water temp was 53 degrees. This was another great dive with a new dive buddy!

On the surface interval, we hung out for a bit when JBres1 had to head out. Steve and I worked with John a bit on his weighting since he was very much over-weighted. Even I could tell that he was over-weighted by several pound. After testing him out, it seemed like he was better with 12 pounds less but he did not believe us. He chucked some weight but then decided that he did not want to get rid of all that weight and put some of it back on.

On the last dive of the day, we went out to the shallow side. The plan was to drop to the platform just off the road and get everyone comfortable. I immediately noticed that John was still overweight but there was not much we could do at this point. After a few minutes of them playing with the bowling balls on the platform, we headed to the port-o-potty where everyone was yet gain surprised that it was occupied. We then headed to the rock crusher. The guys brought fish food to get the fish to come closer. This is not necessary in most cases as the bluegill and crappy have no problems coming closing to divers. At this point I left the group since I only dove with 1000 psi. I followed the line back to the road and swam it up until I got to 5 feet depth and surfaced. My dive was 22 minutes with water temps of 64 degrees at the rock crusher. The rest of the guys dove for a bit longer but I was already packed up and ready to go by the time they all got out of the water.

Yet again, another great day at Haigh. For all of you who decided to sit it out because of the weather, you missed out on a gorgeous day. I had a great time and it was great to meet up with my old buddies and connect with new ones. I can’t wait for the next day that we can get together. I am sure it will be a blast.

I have heard good things about WhiteStar...maybe us Haighers could plan a WhiteStar getta way? I hear the viz there is great.

I have heard good things about WhiteStar...maybe us Haighers could plan a WhiteStar getta way? I hear the viz there is great.

White Star is in Ohio Jep. I am pretty sure ChedderChick is in Wisconsin. But if Ohio is a place you want to go, lets go to Gilboa for the GLWC Fall meet and Greet. I went in the spring and had a great time.

Back
Top Bottom