Haigh Quarry Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ohh yeah...if you stick above 25 feet like in the shallows then a 3mm is all you need.....temps right now are in the 80 range. See you there..I'll be there all weekend....

ScubaThor:
Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies (?) and gents, much appreciated. You are correct, I'm a rookie, only have 5 logged dives. I'll stay clear of the south (deep) end for now. What's the danger, other than the greater depth?
I don't think any of us meant for it to sound like the south end was a death trap. It's just a bit deeper and colder.

Joe

Sideband:
I don't think any of us meant for it to sound like the south end was a death trap. It's just a bit deeper and colder.

Joe

I have no problem with deep and cold....just want to put my diving gear to use and show the wife there was a reason I bought it in the first place... :)
In all seriousness, I don't think it hurts at all to have a healthy bit of respect of any new and unfamiliar environments when diving and do appreciate your caution.

ScubaThor:
I have no problem with deep and cold....just want to put my diving gear to use and show the wife there was a reason I bought it in the first place... :)
In all seriousness, I don't think it hurts at all to have a healthy bit of respect of any new and unfamiliar environments when diving and do appreciate your caution.
Good on you on all accounts. I don't care for the cold all that much so I do a lot of my dives there on the shallow side. It can get crowded over there during the mornings on weekends because of the classes though. I did an entire dive a couple of weeks ago and never left the road. It was getting dark and I was wanting to just relax so I went down the road a ways where the bluegill are nesting. I was only in about 10' of water but I just settled in and watched the fish interact with each other for about an hour. I had collected some zebra muscles on an earlier dive and spent some time breaking them open and feeding the fish by hand. It was very calming after a day of chasing students.

Did you make it out there today? If so, how was it?

Joe

Sideband:
Did you make it out there today? If so, how was it?

Joe

Made it out there today (Sunday). We stayed on the south end mainly, doing two dives. Visibility had to have been less than 5-7 feet at depth. The day started out kind of crappy, with a fine being "donated" to the quarry (stupid finstrap) and a busted o-ring, but turned out okay. Wish we would have had a little better viz though.
Dove with a full length 3 mil and a 3 mil hooded vest underneath. Felt fine, even at 52'. Can't wait to go again. :)
If anyone finds a blue Mares fin below the west platform, it's mine.

...made 3 dives yesterday; stayed mainly northeast around the fish habitats and island...viz was very good, 20-25', at times and warm...7mm, no hood/gloves. The southern side, I agree, was 5-7' at best.

Yeah, both my buddy and myself decided that next time we should pick a different spot, because the visibility was so freaking bad. But hey, a day with bad viz is still better than not diving.

ScubaThor:
If anyone finds a blue Mares fin below the west platform, it's mine.
Chris and I can lookfor it on Saturday when we are out there if it hasn't been found already. Did you let Tina know?

Joe

Sideband:
Chris and I can lookfor it on Saturday when we are out there if it hasn't been found already. Did you let Tina know?

Joe

Yep, I did put my info on her notebook. There is a down line on the south-east corner of the west platform and the fin dropped right along it. My buddy an I went down that line later to look for it, but it was too dark and silty down there. Couldn't see squat. Please don't go out of your way to look for it, although I appreciate your offer.
T

Cool. Tina will be able to tell us if it was found before we look then. If Chris is willing we can spend a few minutes doing a muck dive. If we find it you get your fin back and if not we may find something else.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom