Haigh Quarry Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaThor

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to Haigh Quarry, IL, for the first time this weekend and was planning on taking two tanks...any suggestions on the two dives I should make with them? Is the viz better in some places than others? 3 mil or 7 mil suit? Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.
T

You didn't mention the extend of your experience, but it looks like you have less than 15 dives under your belt.

Given that, you may or may not want to go to the south side (deep side). That is the only side I've dove on. There is a cabin cruiser and a L.A.R.K. in close proximity in about 50' of water. I prefer this side because vis is usually 20-30' but it is cold (7mm needed).

However, you can stay on the other side of the quarry where it is shallower, and maybe can even stick with the 3mm suit. The surface temp is very nice, but below about 30' or so it gets chilly.

I suggest you buy their slate int he office. It has a map of the quarry with compass headings written in. I believe it's $4, so a great buy.

Also, I would take only 1 tank since they do fills there. They even have a pick up/drop off service for an extra $1.

Have fun!

You can also stay on the North side on the opposite side of the quarry from the platforms. The viz there isn't as bad as the platforms.

I was wearing a 2mil shorty on the shallow north end this last weekend. Wore my 7mil, hood and gloves on the deeper south side.
The walls are always fun to dive. The vis is usually pretty decent along them and you have a really good reference point for both navigation and buoyancy control. The rock crusher on the North side is easy to get to by just following the rope off the first platform. It's a cool beginner dive with something to see and plenty of fish and such.

Joe

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and I normally dive with a 5-4-3 full wet suit and this time I went with a 7mm farmer john I bought off a friend. I was much more comfortable. There was big thermocline at about 32 feet which dipped the temp to about 55. So I would suggest going with thicker if you can.

As far as where to dive. I agree with the other posts for you to go to the north side. Go in on the ramp and you can hit the rock crusher and other things within a short distance. You may also want to go in at one of the docks and take a look at all the fish that hang out under it as well as the walls of the quarry.

Have a good time and practice some while you are there. Good place to do navigation.

Jeff

Was there Saturday -- vis on the deep side was maybe 6-7ft. Pretty crappy.

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies (?) and gents, much appreciated. You are correct, I'm a rookie, only have 5 logged dives. I'll stay clear of the south (deep) end for now. What's the danger, other than the greater depth?

viz can be rather poor on the north side when OW classes are in full swing...this weekend looks to be quite busy with new students...dove a 7mm, no hood/gloves last weekend out north and around to the fish habitats at depths of 40ft or less and quite comfortable...

ScubaThor:
Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies (?) and gents, much appreciated. You are correct, I'm a rookie, only have 5 logged dives. I'll stay clear of the south (deep) end for now. What's the danger, other than the greater depth?

A good shallow dive is also all the way in the NE part of the quarry....not too many classes make it out there because it is a little farther than most instructors will take OW students for logistical reasons....back there are some fish cribs that always have some interesting fish in them and the viz is ually not to bad for the shallow side...max depth 23 feet.

Jason

Back
Top Bottom