Had my first student today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now being an experienced divemaster trainee, I have begun considering my path post qualification and I've decided to start my own business: baptisms at depth.

The idea is that most people are cleansed in the blood of the lamb on the surface.
We'll do it at 15m for a truly life changing experience!

It can't be too difficult, surely?

Get a load of punters together at a local dive site. Or go out on a boat in the North sea.
Get them all kitted up and throw them in the water and meet them at 15m where we'll practice some basic skills like unexpectedly turning their air off so they practice buddy breathing.
If they're interested in taking it further, we'll count their first dive as part of their OW and I'll pass them to my mate Pete as a warm lead.

Being an experienced divemaster trainee, I'll fully brief them beforehand no problem.

I've been in touch with a local graphic design agency and I've had a logo designed for this venture. I feel it truly symbolises a change of heart in a new Christian.

ezgif-2-9c54439ced.jpg

What do you think?

We'll keep costs down by not employing any actual instructors.
Any feedback appreciated.

Now being an experienced divemaster trainee, I have begun considering my path post qualification and I've decided to start my own business: baptisms at depth.

The idea is that most people are cleansed in the blood of the lamb on the surface.
We'll do it at 15m for a truly life changing experience!

It can't be too difficult, surely?

Get a load of punters together at a local dive site. Or go out on a boat in the North sea.
Get them all kitted up and throw them in the water and meet them at 15m where we'll practice some basic skills like unexpectedly turning their air off so they practice buddy breathing.
If they're interested in taking it further, we'll count their first dive as part of their OW and I'll pass them to my mate Pete as a warm lead.

Being an experienced divemaster trainee, I'll fully brief them beforehand no problem.

I've been in touch with a local graphic design agency and I've had a logo designed for this venture. I feel it truly symbolises a change of heart in a new Christian.

View attachment 776115

What do you think?

We'll keep costs down by not employing any actual instructors.
Any feedback appreciated.
Prity much sounds like the training I received in the Caribbean in the 1970s (cost US$10). You're on a winner there.

The OP did clarify that he conducted the full training session by himself from the briefing to the end.

I understand that instructors want to call out other instructor when it looks like they're cutting corners.
Yes he did but he also said the instructor was there with him. What was assumed is the instructor did not brief the students, yes students the OW an DMT, assumed the instructor did not demonstrate skills first, assumed the instructor was out of standards. This is a recurring theme on this thread and many others on SB that the instructor is an idiot but that instructor is not on SB to explain themselves, the instructors that are on SB jump on to prove how good they are. Unfortunately the vast majority of working instructors are not subscribed to SB and only a small vocal group are.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It is our earnest hope that everyone felt like they got to say their piece. About 90% of the last several days of posts actually fit the "Off Topic" category of post that we usually delete.
Now that the OP has returned, perhaps some facts may emerge, as speculation has taken us through a review of the entire DM curriculum without resolving the issues.
Point of View (POV) Warriors have and will continue to be thread banned.
Please expect moderation to be more heavy handed in this thread from this point forward.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It is our earnest hope that everyone felt like they got to say their piece. About 90% of the last several days of posts actually fit the "Off Topic" category of post that we usually delete.
Now that the OP has returned, perhaps some facts may emerge, as speculation has taken us through a review of the entire DM curriculum without resolving the issues.
Point of View (POV) Warriors have and will continue to be thread banned.
Please expect moderation to be more heavy handed in this thread from this point forward.
Thanks to the mod for 'assisting' some of the more vocal members off of this thread :thumb:

Ina
A DM trainee cannot do that.
In the instructor manual it actually says that a DMT needs to (in confined water)
(Below is my translation, i don't have the English version)

1. Prepare and organise a briefing en equipment for students.
2.coordinate sequence of events
3. Supervise students who won't get attention from instructor at that time
4. Help a student overcome a learning problem
5. React to problem student faces
6. Demonstrate a skill to a student.

So i really start to understand less and less what the gross violations were (assuming it was confined water and instructor had previously shown skill).

(Hope i don't reopen a closed can of worms, if so, feel free to delete :))

Ina
In the instructor manual it actually says that a DMT needs to (in confined water)
(Below is my translation, i don't have the English version)

1. Prepare and organise a briefing en equipment for students.
2.coordinate sequence of events
3. Supervise students who won't get attention from instructor at that time
4. Help a student overcome a learning problem
5. React to problem student faces
6. Demonstrate a skill to a student.

So i really start to understand less and less what the gross violations were (assuming it was confined water and instructor had previously shown skill).

(Hope i don't reopen a closed can of worms, if so, feel free to delete :))
#4 is something I was unaware of.

In the OP's FIRST post in this thread he crystal clearly states that this was OPEN WATER 2. If he didn't mean that then he should clarify it. He's obviously still here and reading all of this thread because he is posting "LIKES" whenever a moderator or anyone else posts something he likes to hear and even thanks the mods for defending him...

So what's the deal OP? Was this a Confined Water dive or an Open Water dive? It makes a difference and it's a totally fair question.

As a trainee divemaster I had my first student today and I took her through open water 2.

Thanks to the mod for 'assisting' some of the more vocal members off of this thread :thumb:

This has been an entertaining thread to read. Ultimately, I think OP in his excitement misunderstood what his role was. His title for this thread states that “he had a first student”. Right there and then he is already out of place. His instructor had a student. He is a student himself. Hopefully , he was being evaluated continuously by an instructor as he was demonstrating the skills.
I definitely can understand his excitement and share his love for scuba diving and teaching. It is also possible that he embellished his role a little bit as a part of this excitement while putting his post out in public. A lot of people do it, consciously or subconsciously. Regardless, whether it was an open water or confined water or wether he was continuously monitored (I hope he was) - OP must understand that he did not have a student.

In the OP's FIRST post in this thread he crystal clearly states that this was OPEN WATER 2. If he didn't mean that then he should clarify it. He's obviously still here and reading all of this thread because he is posting "LIKES" whenever a moderator or anyone else posts something he likes to hear and even thanks the mods for defending him...

So what's the deal OP? Was this a Confined Water dive or an Open Water dive? It makes a difference and it's a totally fair question.
This has already been covered. Read the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom