Had my first student today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
People may have short fuses here, but they also have short memories when it comes to personal animosity. For my part, I am incapable of nurturing a grudge more than about an hour.
It took me a bit after starting here to realize that truth. One of SB's advantages is that short memory when it comes to personal animosity. I have been more forgiving of those short fuses (and more aware of my short fuse).

Scraps, I'm not the acting moderator on this thread. I'm posting as a member just like you are.

I assume you understand that interns are medical students?

In a general sense all physicians are students of medicine but not "med students". As a physician, I know that the medical profession considers a "medical student" a person who has an undergraduate degree and is pursuing an M.D. degree in a med school. An intern is a graduate of a medical school, has his M.D. degree, and is starting his training in a medical specialty.

In my analogy, I specifically wrote "medical student." If you think about it for a while, you might see the difference between surgery performed by a surgical resident and a medical student.
Yeah the medical students get to practice on cadavers. Dive instructors have no such luxury.

Oh look!

1679789226211.png

-Z

I doubt this very seriously.

If I look at the latest PADI numbers, they claim to have 130,000 "dive professionals" worldwide and 6500 or so stores and resorts. They dont say if thats active people or old farts like me.

Assuming 30,000 of the professionals are active instructors, and the last time I checked (which has been years) to remain active you had to certify 6 students per year. Don't know if thats still the case, but if so, that means about 180,000 students a year, if each does 4 dives in a class, thats about 3/4 million training dives a year, and thats just PADI. I know some classes don't do 4 dives, so lets just say 400,000 training dives a year.

Linnea Mills' accident was an act of idiocy. Rather than promoting diving by pointing out, what I think, is a stellar safety record (all things considered) you wave around Linnea Mills and tell the OP that he needs another instructor. That's just ridiculous.

@boulderjohn- avoid teaching hospitals. Surgical interns and residents perform surgeries under the direction of an attending surgeon every day. You know, they have an instructor watching them perform skills.

You are either not paying attention, not aware or in denial.

Snow was the pebble that opened eyes of others.

Snow was a horrible instructor and obviously didn't know standards or safety. The OP instructor is showing signs of the same

You are either not paying attention, not aware or in denial.

Snow was the pebble that opened eyes of others.

Snow was a horrible instructor and obviously didn't know standards or safety. The OP instructor is showing signs of the same
The point you seem to have missed is that we know no such thing.
Assumptions were made and eventually the dog pile commenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom