Had my first diving scare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Truth is I very much doubt you will ever know what the issue was. You did the smart thing by calling the dive, waiting to try again and getting a doc involved. Beyond that it's not going to surprise me if you don't find an answer. You don't mention having a dive buddy. Considering what happened it would probably be a really good idea
90% of my dives are Unfortunately solo not very many ppl diving in my area/as often as I am diving. Its also hard to convince a person to spend the next 45min not moving and just hovering at a set depth. For the next few weeks tho I will only be diving with another person so I will be cut down to only 4-5 dives a week😬

I reached the shore and was at 20 feet when I had the feeling of passing out as you drive kinda thing. I think it was only for a split sec that I blacked out for but not sure.

what does this even mean? do you pass out when you drive? seriously, have no idea what your are describing.

Have you ever had alternobaric vertigo on ascent? You might want to look that up. It usually makes people feel really strange and can resolve quickly.

I reached the shore and was at 20 feet when I had the feeling of passing out as you drive kinda thing. I think it was only for a split sec that I blacked out for but not sure.

what does this even mean? do you pass out when you drive? seriously, have no idea what your are describing.

Have you ever had alternobaric vertigo on ascent? You might want to look that up. It usually makes people feel really strange and can resolve quickly.
Have you ever been sleepy when driving and then have that split sec nod off? It was like that but I did not feel sleepy. Also going to look that up right now!

You are very much in denial. It's great that you posted about the issue, but that was not normal. Cold water swimming is a popular sport, but it is aerobic. Diving is not aerobic. If you do it right it is the opposite. Not a good mix with cold.

Seriously, go see a doctor and get your heart checked out. Do some research on the possible effects of 50-60f water temps. If you are a big guy this might be a warning sign.

So Monday I was doing my first dive of the day when I had my first diving scare! So I was doing what I call my open water practices where I drop down to 30 feet and swim tell I can not see shore or bottom. I then turn and follow the shore using the compass and trying to stay with in 2 feet + ~ of 30feet. At first I started to feel strange like something was off so I turn to shore and started to move up in the water. I reached the shore and was at 20 feet when I had the feeling of passing out as you drive kinda thing. I think it was only for a split sec that I blacked out for but not sure. After that I pushed up to 10 feet got my dive flag and ended the dive. I was on 32% and the full dive time was only 10min. Contacted a local doctor and they did order some blood test but wont know tell next week. With that said I did dive yesterday and was just fine so not sure why I had the issue.
@davehicks mentioned the idea of cold-induced bradycardia, which I agree is definitely a possibility here. Aside from that, my first thought was a medical event that was not directly related to diving, possibly a transient cardiac dysrhythmia. Among the things you may want to consider is a cardiac workup - again riding on @davehicks ' coattails, this could be a red flag for an underlying medical condition. Although gas contamination and O2 toxicity can't be completely ruled out, the transient nature of your symptoms and their rapid resolution while still under water does not seem to suggest either of those.

Best regards,
DDM

Have you ever been sleepy when driving and then have that split sec nod off? It was like that but I did not feel sleepy. Also going to look that up right now!
thanks, that to me is getting sleepy. not blacking out. I can't imagine getting super sleepy and relaxed in water that cold with no wetsuit on.

You are very much in denial. It's great that you posted about the issue, but that was not normal. Cold water swimming is a popular sport, but it is aerobic. Diving is not aerobic. If you do it right it is the opposite. Not a good mix with cold.

Seriously, go see a doctor and get your heart checked out. Do some research on the possible effects of 50-60f water temps. If you are a big guy this might be a warning sign.
Once more still not sure how you get, I am in denial? If I was in denial, then I would have not gone to the doctor's office. The only thing I question is how you can determine with 100% faith that it had to do with the cold.

The only thing I question is how you can determine with 100% faith that it had to do with the cold.
we’re you sweating?

The physician you saw was recommended by DAN right? Not some doc in the box?

we’re you sweating?

The physician you saw was recommended by DAN right? Not some doc in the box?
I get over heated in are LDS pool and that is at 70! I hate swimming in it and will actually work up a sweat. No the last time I had an issue "ear infection" they could not recommend any docs in my area. With that said an actual city is 6H away.

I am not going on like nothing happen I called the dive and did not dive for the rest of the day. I also think getting cold or body being cold is subjective when its -10 out I am still in a t-shirt and shorts running the snow blower. Now the down side of it any temp over 65 is blazing hot for me. With that said I have gear from 3m to 7m including 7m boots gloves and hood. If I get cold I put on gear like todays dives I had the 3mill suit 7mill gloves boots and hood. Hit 43F at 106 feet. And was actually getting hot and had to vent the hood a few times.
You are talking about the feeling of being cold versus the physiology of being cold. You might not feel cold, but that doesn't mean your body is not reacting to low temperatures by shunting blood from your peripherals and moving it to your core. Cold blood when in the brain can cause a shock to the brain and could potentially cause electrical interference (think of brain freeze), same with your heart. Now on first dive its less likely to be the case but prolonged exposure could cause issues. Just things to keep in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom