Had my first diving scare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember that part in your nitrox course where you learned that diving without adequate thermal protection can increase the risk of oxygen toxicity?
Yes 100% but I feel like this would happen more than just the one time. even more so when I have been in longer and colder water. The odd thing is I am not cold from it. Infact ppl have made comments about how warm my hands/body feel after I get out of the water.

Adding on: It is not that diving in cold water without thermal protection is impossible or even unsafe for everyone.

However you had a close call. Continuing to go on like nothing happened is just lying to yourself. Get a physical and buy a wet suit.

Adding on: It is not that diving in cold water without thermal protection is impossible or even unsafe for everyone.

However you had a close call. Continuing to go on like nothing happened is just lying to yourself. Get a physical and buy a wet suit.
Adding on to this, the OP stated in another thread he was doing 5-7 dives a day, although the post in question was the first dive, he’s getting very lucky not having an incident.

OP should probably start diving with a buddy too, being so newly certified.

If I go deeper 100 feet, I will throw on the 3mill but really, I just don't get cold I will do 3-4 dives in a day at that temp.
You’d be a natural where I dive in Norcal. 48 to 53 degree water year around. The coldest I ever saw it was 42 and warmest was about 60.
You didn’t get CO poisoning. I’ve been CO poisoned and it was a three day ordeal. Also, the sick feeling didn’t hit me until I was out of the environment for about forty minutes. It was one scary sumbitch I can tell you.
You might have gotten a CO2 overload but I doubt it because that usually happens when someone shallow breathes due to being nervous.
I’ll bet you got a little O2 high from deep breathing combined with nitrox. Hyperventilate and you’ll get a dizzy high feeling, that’s an O2 spike.
Are you in generally good shape, young, healthy?

Adding on to this, the OP stated in another thread he was doing 5-7 dives a day, although the post in question was the first dive, he’s getting very lucky not having an incident.

OP should probably start diving with a buddy too, being so newly certified.
To be fair thats not every single day most days are 3-4. And I did not dive Sunday so I was coming off a brake.

I am not going on like nothing happen I called the dive and did not dive for the rest of the day. I also think getting cold or body being cold is subjective when its -10 out I am still in a t-shirt and shorts running the snow blower. Now the down side of it any temp over 65 is blazing hot for me. With that said I have gear from 3m to 7m including 7m boots gloves and hood. If I get cold I put on gear like todays dives I had the 3mill suit 7mill gloves boots and hood. Hit 43F at 106 feet. And was actually getting hot and had to vent the hood a few times.

You’d be a natural where I dive in Norcal. 48 to 53 degree water year around. The coldest I ever saw it was 42 and warmest was about 60.
You didn’t get CO poisoning. I’ve been CO poisoned and it was a three day ordeal. Also, the sick feeling didn’t hit me until I was out of the environment for about forty minutes. It was one scary sumbitch I can tell you.
You might have gotten a CO2 overload but I doubt it because that usually happens when someone shallow breathes due to being nervous.
I’ll bet you got a little O2 high from deep breathing combined with nitrox. Hyperventilate and you’ll get a dizzy high feeling, that’s an O2 spike.
Are you in generally good shape, young, healthy?
I am built like a polar bear🤣 bet its why I stay so warm in the cold. And I am 34 so not old but not young.

Cold water will suppress heart rate and breathing. You could have died in the instance you reported. Just because you were fine the next day means nothing. You only need to black out once before you are a drowning victim. You got lucky.
Also I am not saying you are wrong. But like I stated if I do not feel cold have never had the issue what makes you so sure its due to the cold? I feel like for all I know I could have literally fell asleep for that second.

Truth is I very much doubt you will ever know what the issue was. You did the smart thing by calling the dive, waiting to try again and getting a doc involved. Beyond that it's not going to surprise me if you don't find an answer. You don't mention having a dive buddy. Considering what happened it would probably be a really good idea

Back
Top Bottom