Had my first diving scare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishdip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So Monday I was doing my first dive of the day when I had my first diving scare! So I was doing what I call my open water practices where I drop down to 30 feet and swim tell I can not see shore or bottom. I then turn and follow the shore using the compass and trying to stay with in 2 feet + ~ of 30feet. At first I started to feel strange like something was off so I turn to shore and started to move up in the water. I reached the shore and was at 20 feet when I had the feeling of passing out as you drive kinda thing. I think it was only for a split sec that I blacked out for but not sure. After that I pushed up to 10 feet got my dive flag and ended the dive. I was on 32% and the full dive time was only 10min. Contacted a local doctor and they did order some blood test but wont know tell next week. With that said I did dive yesterday and was just fine so not sure why I had the issue.

Glad it ended well. You never exceeded 30 feet, and that was the only dive you did that day? Could it have been anxiety over being disoriented from not seeing the shore or bottom? I sometimes find that when I am flustered and maybe overexerting myself, I start to feel like I could lose consciousness, but then I stop, tell myself I'm fine, make sure I breathe properly, and it clears up. I don't know if it's CO2 related, but I always try to breathe properly--that is, not shallowly/fast but also not deeply in an exaggerated way.

Glad it ended well. You never exceeded 30 feet, and that was the only dive you did that day? Could it have been anxiety over being disoriented from not seeing the shore or bottom? I sometimes find that when I am flustered and maybe overexerting myself, I start to feel like I could lose consciousness, but then I stop, tell myself I'm fine, make sure I breathe properly, and it clears up. I don't know if it's CO2 related, but I always try to breathe properly--that is, not shallowly/fast but also not deeply in an exaggerated way.
correct when diving alone I stay around 30 feet. And it was the first dive of the day. As far as I could tell I was fully relaxed, and I do this dive all the time like 5-10 times a week I decide on a depth and will just practice hovering at it in open water on all 4 sides. Or swimming on all 4 sides at that depth. This was one of the lazier swims.

So Monday I was doing my first dive of the day when I had my first diving scare! ...
Yes, as mentioned earlier in this thread, have your gas tested. Some questions:

1. Your own personal cylinder?
2. Was the EAN32 from a banked source? Partial pressure blended? Something else?
3. Did you, yourself, test the FO2 before you accepted the cylinder? If so, did you use your own O2 gauge?
4. (Mentioned above.) Do you know if the LDS tested the gas with a CO gauge?
5. Did the gas have a peculiar/unusual scent or taste?

rx7diver

Yes, as mentioned earlier in this thread, have your gas tested. Some questions:

1. Your own personal cylinder?
2. Was the EAN32 from a banked source? Partial pressure blended? Something else?
3. Did you, yourself, test the FO2 before you accepted the cylinder? If so, did you use your own O2 gauge?
4. (Mentioned above.) Do you know if the LDS tested the gas with a CO gauge?
5. Did the gas have a peculiar/unusual scent or taste?

rx7diver
1. it is my own
2. LDS gets aviation and then blends on site. Have others that got filled at the same time and have had no issue.
3.Yes, I test and fill out the logbook they keep on file, but I only use the o2 tester they have. It should be noted the tester is different from the one used when blending the tanks.
4. I have no idea but will also find that out.
5. nope it had the same taste as normal IE nothing lol.

Post event headache?
No, I actually was feeling just fine after the black out. and for the rest of the day. I in fact had to keep telling myself to hold off and give it 24H as I was wanting to get back to diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom