had a laugh on an instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s7595

Reaction score
here is my story
last week needed to dive one more time for nitrox cert . my instructor was doing an ow class and said I could tag along .my lds owner said when your there get him to sign your log and get your dry suit c-card too . arrive at dive site and ask instructor (bill) if he would agree well before I counld say another word he gives me the speech"I am teaching ow class bla bla " I look and say cool . then he asks for help with his scuba unit , his studants were small guys ,so I help . at the time we did not follow padi spects and do buddy checks . get into water and swim out to bouy and bill can not find his primeary reg , I swim over and find it between his back and bc ,undo bc strap and feed it to him .
studants look on he mumbles something about buddy checks this dude is allso cave cert. after dive we chat and complete my log ,he never even says thanks for the help . or okay I will sign this for dry suit .like it was my fault for helping him with his scuba unit ,he helped me and I checked to see that all my hoses were in the rite place . as for his teaching I would say first rate ,personality just plain sucks

Snowbear:
What did he teach that was first rate? Certainly not the importance of self or buddy checks.
I agree with you there.. its instructors like that that cause all the bad habits anyway.. what do new students know?? gosh, i remember my first time in the pool, i thought the inflator hose was the up button! ;-) could you imagine what would happen had I still been doing that through my AOW certs?

I am a new Divemaster. When I always dove with my buddy, I had a meticulous way of setting up my gear. When I became a DM, that went out the window. While getting my own gear ready I often have to stop and lend assistance or answer questions during the process. Your own gear assembly and donning needs to be second nature.

I often see instructors racing to get their own equipment on at the last minute as they have been so busy getting all the students ready. Yes, they should have their sh*t together, but
sometimes, with a rather taxing group perhaps, they may be doing things on AutoPilot.

Juls

Yep, been there ... done that.

I recently had what we in the business refer to as a "dumb-sh!t moment". Got so busy making sure everybody else was properly geared up that I got into the water without my fins.

It happens. It's embarrassing as hell, but got nothing to do with a lack of professionalism ... it's all about what can happen when you get distracted at an inopportune moment. All you can do is enjoy the humor at that point (assuming it only results in something you can laugh about).

I daresay most instructors have moments like that from time to time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

snow bear
to answer your ? , he taught my nitrox course and his teaching style was quite through ,made all ? were answered and understood .

NWGratefulDiver:
Yep, been there ... done that.

I recently had what we in the business refer to as a "dumb-sh!t moment". Got so busy making sure everybody else was properly geared up that I got into the water without my fins.

It happens. It's embarrassing as hell, but got nothing to do with a lack of professionalism ... it's all about what can happen when you get distracted at an inopportune moment. All you can do is enjoy the humor at that point (assuming it only results in something you can laugh about).
I daresay most instructors have moments like that from time to time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

S**t happens!
I once got in without turning my air on and didn't notice until I was under the water, I don't think any of the students noticed, the DM found it quite funny though.

cave dive equipment matching:

computers: primary left arm, backup boot of car.... oooops,

yeah, can happen to anyone, familiarity breeds contempt

the-dumper,

Evidently, your BC was already filled when you went in without your air on? I read a narrative once about someone (perhaps even on this board? can't remember where) who giant-strided off the back of a boat, into the ocean, without air in his BC, air tank turned OFF, and heavily weighted. I think he barely made it to the surface, he was plunging deep before was able to dump weights and fin up. Made an impression on me...thanks to whoever wrote it. Skeered me enough that I am very anal about having my air on, BC filled and checking to make sure everyone else's is too. Already caught my husband without his air on, once. And I love him enough that I gave him a hard time about it. NOooooo, not too hard of a time, geez.

Please be careful, from a fellow Scubaboarder friend.

Foo

Back
Top Bottom