had a laugh on an instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all do those things from time to time....

I was -- ehh -- not as much "helping" as "hanging out" with a fellow instructor who had 1 (one) student for OW-dives for a drysuit speciality. The instructor had for some reason brought the tech-reg (2x12l etc.) for the dives, which were scheduled to be in a shallow mudhole (12m was the max we logged). I just needed to "get wet" and decided to ride along in the van with them, seeing as there was space and I had nothing better to do.

He proceeded to brief the student on the dive, check his gear and don his tech-stuff, and wade into the mud...ehh...water. When he passed me, in waist-deep water, I politely asked him if he'd like me to zip up his drysuit before or after decent....the water was 4C. Fortunately he could see the irony and get a good laugh out of it himself.

I've done similar such silly things too -- I fully expect that colleagues and divers who've seen them will tell the stories and have a good laugh on my expense :)

A friend of mine is an instructor and was dive conning a fun dive. The group was mainly newly certified divers. As the vis in the lake was about 10 ft. at a good spot, he led the group and I played "border collie" to the two buddy pairs.

Well, we get out to a boat in the lake and the instructor is motioning to me. He points to his drysuit inflator area. It takes me a minute to figure out that his drysuit hose isn't connected. I hook it up and none of the newer divers knew that there was an issue.

When getting dressed to leave, I inquired (OK, friendly needling, LOL) when he noticed the suit squeeze as that boat is about 40 ft. down. He told me 25 ft. down and then added that it was getting chilly as well.

That ranks up there with the time at DUI Drysuit days when my dive buddy noticed my back zip drysuit wide open in 48 degree water (chest deep at that point). Thankfully, she was able to get it zipped before had major shivers to deal with, BRRR! What happened? I can zip/unzip my own back zip drysuit. I couldn't do that with the loaner that I was trying out. I had forgotten that I handn't yet zipped the drysuit as I normally do with mine. D'Oh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom