Had a contaminated fill. What type of clean does it need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you do anything, go back and taste it again. Without go into details, I once had a situation in which I was concerned about the taste of the air I was breathing, but it turned out that I was the one who was contaminated. My nasal passages had become saturated with a certain smell, and that affected my sense of taste. With a little time to clear it all out, all was good again. Overuse of a defogging solution can do that.

after a few breaths, the air tasted weird and I didn't dive with it. It could be oil but there's no sign of any oil on the valve

Sounds to me like the filters are on the way out. There is a shop where I used to work, where the filters would be "stretched" a little. If you got a tank from one of the first fills in the morning (where water might sit in the filter tower), then you would have a pretty ropey tasting fill. Would make you a bit green at the gills. Fills later in the day would be OK, as the water would clear out through the condensate drain.

To address - bleed the tank dry and refill... and don't go back to the LDS that filled your tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom