Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The earth may well be on it's way to a Malthusian catastrophe and the human ego or naivete foolishly believes it is possible to have control over the earth and environment when the one act that humans can not control that will eventually lead to catastrophe is procreation and over population unless some outside force such as disease, famine, war or astronomical event (asteroid or comet strike ) either severely reduces or eliminates the human race. Simply add oil and land to food in Malthus' postulata.

(quote)Thomas Malthus
I think I may fairly make two postulata. First, That food is necessary to the existence of man. Secondly, That the passion between the sexes is necessary and will remain nearly in its present state. These two laws, ever since we have had any knowledge of mankind, appear to have been fixed laws of our nature, and, as we have not hitherto seen any alteration in them, we have no right to conclude that they will ever cease to be what they now are, without an immediate act of power in that Being who first arranged the system of the universe, and for the advantage of his creatures, still executes, according to fixed laws, all its various operations.

Assuming then my postulata as granted, I say, that the power of population is indefinitely greater than the power in the earth to produce subsistence for man. Population, when unchecked, increases in a geometrical ratio.

—Malthus 1798, Chapter 1, [3] (quote)

Malthusian catastrophe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oil depletion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
With this thread being up to 32 pages, I haven't read all the posts. Forgive me if this question has already been asked...

With the normal wind and current patterns, as well as the eventual hurricanes, what is the likely hood that oil from this spill will make it into the Carribean area? Is there any threat to the Yucatan, Caymans or the Bahamas? I imagine that if the Gulfstream carries it around Florida, then Bermuda will be in the crosshairs?

Does anyone know enough about the weather patterns to answer the above?

With the normal wind and current patterns, as well as the eventual hurricanes, what is the likely hood that oil from this spill will make it into the Carribean area? Is there any threat to the Yucatan, Caymans or the Bahamas? I imagine that if the Gulfstream carries it around Florida, then Bermuda will be in the crosshairs?

Not sure, but from what I have seen on the international news it appears that its quite possible it could make its way around onto the East coast of Florida, - Bermuda? - I guess its possible,I dont know, but I would imagine it would be very diluted by then.??

Something that interests me is that the news is saying BP is / has capturing / captured around 15000 barrels of oil from the cap, but this dos not make sense to me, if, as BP has steadfastly maintained the well is releasing about 5000 barrels a day, then 15000 barrels captured over the 4 or so days its been capped is almost the entire volume, thats great, but other reports give the volume released at up to 20000 thousand barrels a day, then, 15000 barrels over 4 days is not so good, better than nothing of course, but only a fraction of the oil released - anybody got some info on this?? - It seems internationally the media is loosing a bit of interest and info is drying up.:idk:

For the most accurate information go to NOLA.com: Everything New Orleans the New Orleans news paper or one of the local stations such as WWL TV or WWL radio.

Something that interests me is that the news is saying BP is / has capturing / captured around 15000 barrels of oil from the cap, but this dos not make sense to me, if, as BP has steadfastly maintained the well is releasing about 5000 barrels a day, then 15000 barrels captured over the 4 or so days its been capped is almost the entire volume, thats great, but other reports give the volume released at up to 20000 thousand barrels a day, then, 15000 barrels over 4 days is not so good, better than nothing of course, but only a fraction of the oil released - anybody got some info on this?? - It seems internationally the media is loosing a bit of interest and info is drying up.:idk:

One of the things I had heard was that BP was reluctant to cut the riser because of the potential increase of flow from the well. When the riser was in place less was flowing because the riser restricted the flow. Kind of like a kink in a garden hose. This could explain the discrepancy in volumes. Not saying what has happened is right but I think we should all stop and think about what is happening. The media reports what you want to hear (dependant upon what source you choose to belive).

One of the things I had heard was that BP was reluctant to cut the riser because of the potential increase of flow from the well. When the riser was in place less was flowing because the riser restricted the flow. Kind of like a kink in a garden hose.

Yeah, sure its understandable, but I think the pressure was / is on to do something that shows measureable results, and this was the best shot. I dont think they had another choice at the time.

The cap seems to be a workable solution though, and it appears there are plans afoot to make a bigger cap now, which will hopefully capture more oil, but, then I understand the increased volume captured will result in holding and shipping issues on the surface. :confused:

Yeah, sure its understandable, but I think the pressure was / is on to do something that shows measureable results, and this was the best shot. I dont think they had another choice at the time.

The cap seems to be a workable solution though, and it appears there are plans afoot to make a bigger cap now, which will hopefully capture more oil, but, then I understand the increased volume captured will result in holding and shipping issues on the surface. :confused:

The way I understand it is that the oil has to be processed to a degree. I would imagine that would include separating the gas being produced (i heard up to 15 MCF) from the oil. My understanding is that they are waiting for another ship capable of processing at even higher rates, not sure though but that is the way I understand it.

We are leaving out Saturday evening and spending 2 days in Destin
Destin has not been effected by the oil spill according to my research.

Back
Top Bottom