Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry for this question but I do not have time to read through all 33 pages but anyone know if Pensacola is still dive able?

sorry for this question but I do not have time to read through all 33 pages but anyone know if Pensacola is still dive able?

for the time being it is.
I am in Destin right now, as a mater of fact we just got back to the motel from the Jetties. on some of the beaches there is a lot of algae (Nasty smelling stuff) but no oil.
up around shell island and the jetties it is high visibility and clear of the sea grass and algae muck.
Headed back tomorrow to the Jetties...
High slack tide begins at 12.20 PM
will post some pics when I get home.

Just in case you are interested in the area that is currently showing the impact of the oil, we've posted a link to a gis map that gets updated daily. Be sure to check out the features of the map if you are interested. The loop takes you day by day from the disaster's start. Then there's a zoom feature that allows you to look closer at the beach areas and of course, you can pan along the coastline.
You can view the link at our site.

Last edited:
I just got done diving in destin. The vis was 50-70 but the diving was awesome. I saw no oil and had a blast with emerald coast scuba.

Diving in Pensacola has been awesome this last week - vis running 50 - 70' inshore, Oriskany has had 100+. Diving the old pier on Pensacola Beach tonight - vis was 30' out there yesterday.

I just got done diving in destin. The vis was 50-70 but the diving was awesome. I saw no oil and had a blast with emerald coast scuba.

I am going to use Emerald coast scuba next time, the walk from Osteens public access to the beach is a killer walk for a gimp but still worth the walk. you and I probably bumped in to each other if you dove Sunday and Monday before last.
what was the price for the boat ride? they have a nice boat BTW.
Going to wally world tomorrow to get pics developed:eyebrow:

Hi all,

just came across an article in both dutch and mexican papers. The BP oil apears to have washed up on the Mexican beach Playa Miramar at Madero, at the other end of the Gulf. :(

If anybody has a link to the same article in an English/US paper I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is the article in El Universal:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/599494.html

Hi all,

just came across an article in both dutch and mexican papers. The BP oil apears to have washed up on the Mexican beach Playa Miramar at Madero, at the other end of the Gulf. :(

If anybody has a link to the same article in an English/US paper I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is the article in El Universal:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/599494.html

I translated it in google and it seemed to say that they didn't know where it came from and that samples had been sent for analysis to find out where it came from.

Back
Top Bottom