Guinness Record breaker at Gilboa Quarry July 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may be the wrong spot, but I HAVE mentioned this before under this thread! So, some questions about Gilboa this weekend! Ber Rabbit, thanks for the PM! That helped! I just want to get a "feel"! LOL! :)

1. How do I find divers from the GLWC? Will a flag be flown? Will everyone be camping in a certain area?

2. Is there a set-hang out for everyone to meet at Friday night? Saturday night?

Well, just two questions. I'm easy!

Thanks for the feedback and input!

We're hoping to have a ScubaBoard banner. Ber asked to have it sent up. So we're hoping to get a camp set up to be marked by that banner. Barracuda & I are getting in Friday morning. Ber is planning on 10AM, and I'd like 9AM or so.

Saturday night is the big event dinner. I'm sure there will be folks going out Friday.

Hello GLWC members and SB faithful. I will be arriving at Gilboa on thursday evening .
If I can be of assistance with the coordination or help in any way please just PM me.
I have volunteered to guide on Friday for out of towners but would be very glad to do what I can. I am sure that it is going to be busy and congested but I know with patience and mutual respect on part of all divers it will be fine.
One thing that is going to be key is keep your gear together, very tight and clean. By this I mean no danglies. While diving around lines always be conscious of your body position in the water and keep your hands in to secure gauges etc. Be relaxed and IF you get entangled, STOP MOVING! Your buddy will help you or your line shepard that will be attending every group of divers. I hope to brief the group that I will be with sometime early on saturday. This event is going to be fun so lets all commit to be helpful and work together. If you see someone with a potential problem please mention it to them in a polite manner. Diver courtesy can go a long way to making a dive safer for all. Have fun all and make a list of your gear checking it twice just like Santa.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I just volunteered for a lane marshal assignment last weekend. Some news...

Lane marshals (the email called us shepherds) are being asked to wear red shirts. We mostly don't know much more than everyone else, but ask and we will try to help. I'm not aware of other shirt color assignments, but you might want to pack a couple options just in case people start asking you a bunch of questions...:rofl3:

Divers have two things to do upon arriving. One is to register / sign in / pick up the arm bands etc. The second, in a separate area, you will sign up for for the specific lane you will enter on. I didn't get any more info than that. A picture of the lanes is forthcoming.

At 10AM on Saturday the shepherds have a meeting. I think that will be our final marching orders.

If you have questions, post them. I'll try to get answers...

Myself and ScubaGirl drove down to Gilboa, and pre-registered for the weekend. First time there, I really liked the set-up. I think my only question is, will we have to WALK in our gear all the way over to those dive lanes? HOLY smokes! I know, things will be made clear this weekend. JUST curious! Also, are there any updates on the number of divers who have registered? Has the 900 plus mark been hit?

Thanks!

Turn South from the quarry and go say 1350 miles. While I love the Spring and Fall events, I wouldn't go even if I was in town. Just way to many people for me. Going diving this weekend in the Keys and then if things work I will hit the first day of Lobster Mini-season in a couple of weeks.

But I do wish who ever goes a safe day.

Jeff

This may be the wrong spot, but I HAVE mentioned this before under this thread! So, some questions about Gilboa this weekend! Ber Rabbit, thanks for the PM! That helped! I just want to get a "feel"! LOL! :)

1. How do I find divers from the GLWC? Will a flag be flown? Will everyone be camping in a certain area?

2. Is there a set-hang out for everyone to meet at Friday night? Saturday night?

Well, just two questions. I'm easy!

Thanks for the feedback and input!

I was living in Florida last year, did some sweet lobster diving! I am STILL trying to get back there! Enjoy your trip! Which part of the Keys are you heading to?

I'm sure it will be a little hectic, but I'm looking forward to the events this weekend!

I think my only question is, will we have to WALK in our gear all the way over to those dive lanes? Also, are there any updates on the number of divers who have registered? Has the 900 plus mark been hit?

When I registered, they planned to transport gear for us, and provide areas to set up over where we would usually park. If they don't, or if everyone waits to the last minute, well, be prepared. :wink: Pack a tarp so you can put gear on the ground!

I asked about some sort of staged entry so that people are not standing in gear. No details on that, so probably something we find out Saturday.

I received an email saying they can accommodate 800 with the lines they have in now and that they will add lines Thursday and Friday.

Hope that helps! Being a lowly lane shepherd I'm not involved with planning, so I don't have much info to pass along.

Back
Top Bottom