Guinness Record breaker at Gilboa Quarry July 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey MIke and Matt. Scubagirl is Lisa Sanford. That was the purpose of hooking you guys up on FB. I guess you guys forgot to swap your Scuaboard Handles.:D LOL!! You guys will figure it out on Saturday though.

Lisa and Boats. One tip. Dont let Matt lead. Let MIke lead. Unless of course you like speed diving.:D

My wife/son/daughter/ and I willl be at Gilboa on Saturday for the attempt. Son and I will be finishing up our IANTD Advanced Nitrox class on Sunday. Is there a place where SB'ers will be meeting up onsite?

Lisa and Boats. One tip. Dont let Matt lead. Let MIke lead. Unless of course you like speed diving.:D

I'm sure they'll be fine... the young can keep up... :wink:

or maybe I'll jus' tow an smb behind me as a drag-chute :)

Looks like I'll be in the Oldsmobile tomorrow... maroon, 4-door... 8 o'clock'ish, walk-in entry...

I am arriving Friday from MD. I am staying at the Hampton in Findlay, OH. I am wondering about parking for the event. Would it be advisable to find a taxi or something? How much parking is available at the quarry and is there a charge to park?

I am arriving Friday from MD. I am staying at the Hampton in Findlay, OH. I am wondering about parking for the event. Would it be advisable to find a taxi or something? How much parking is available at the quarry and is there a charge to park?

Here's the latest about the event next weekend. Today Jodi told me that they are in the 700's for committed divers. More are coming in every day, so breaking this record is a doable event. Talk to any diver friends you have and get them to sign up.

Parking and camping will be in the adjacent field next to the quarry. There will be no parking in the regular parking lot or at the entry points in the regular camping sites. Mike was just completing the bridge over the ditch where shuttles will be running from the camp sites to the quarry. You will be entering the camp sites and parking area from the road before, (or after--depending which way you'll be coming in) the regular entrance.

If you are going and you're local, I would suggest you get out there some time this week and sign your waiver, pay your fees, get your wrist bands for what ever days you may be diving, and get your meal wrist band for Sat. Oh yes, you will also pick up your T shirt. If you do this before Fri., you can go directly to your camp site or parking area without checking in at the office. I predict it will be somewhat of a circus in the office on Fri. and Sat. with everybody checking in and paying fees. Gilboa was a flurry of activity today and I suspect all the rest of the week. I'll be there early on Fri., so if you find me, maybe we can gather a GLWC area in the camping area. I've got a sand colored Prius with "Mr Wiz" on my plates. Hope to see as many of you there as possible.

I will be up there this weekend diving and will figure something out for a group get together next weekend, at the campsite if nothing else. I'm still working on getting my parents house on the market--2 months behind schedule--so I haven't had any time to do any planning for this event. I do apologize for that. If I know about how many people I can figure out how much space I need.
Ber :lilbunny:

Scubagirl and I would like to drive down BEFORE this Friday, and get registered. We already mailed our checks...

What time does the quarry close during the week? Any other suggestions? We snagged a hotel for the weekend, we'll be down Friday morning for the start of the fun!

Thanks!

We will be coming down Friday night from London, Ont and are staying at the Rodeway Inn in Findlay. I will probably be "sick" Friday so I can leave earlier. Ber Rabbit, I will come to a SB get together, just say when and where.

I hope everyone who goes to this event has a safe and amazing time. I question how safe this experience really will be. What precautions are being put in place to handle 700 divers in Gilboa at one time? 50 divers and that place has zero viz.

I hope everyone who goes to this event has a safe and amazing time. I question how safe this experience really will be. What precautions are being put in place to handle 700 divers in Gilboa at one time? 50 divers and that place has zero viz.

There probably won't be any rec diving until after the event on Saturday. Setting divers in place before actually descending for the record will take place on the surface. Any diving on Fri. will have a strict rule to stay off the bottom.:no: New comers to the quarry may have a guide with them on Fri. to help enforce the "no bottom" rule and take newbies on a tour. Every possible thing is being done for safety: life guard divers, boats on the surface, and EMT's standing by. Everybody just needs to obey the rules and use common sense and this will be one amazing weekend.

Back
Top Bottom