Guess who's a newbie TRIMIX diver?!? (and sorta Lake Travis report of 8/13)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are situations were EAN 80 is the best tool for the job,,,,,as 'mix' divers again we have to fully understand the pro's-con's of many deco mixes as well as our choice of back gas for a given dive setting....these could be 'actual best-mix' for that profile or for those whom chose GUE's standard catch all blends. This topic is one that can and has been debated for ever. Understanding the gas you choice to use is very important as we all agree.....using good dive tools and a good heaping of common sense goes a long way in having fun on those tech dives.

You're kidding me right? Man.. lotsa monday morning quarterbacks around here...

No, it is not monday morning quarter backing. It is a legitimate concern. Also, your comment about probable vs possible is BS. you plan your dives to be able to handle as many negative situations as possible. You can't cover them all but diving to that depth with that much weight with only your wing is not good planning. I know you had a lift bag but I would not count on that either. It can easily turn over at the surface and then you have no lift again. I do not ask you these questions, I only present them to you. Your instructor should have known better..

You know, this type of "back and forth" is the only side of tech diving that has me concerned. I've gotten to the point that I rarely admit I tech dive and rarely dive with other tech divers.

I haven't seen such personal assaults in any other sport than I've seen in tech diving. And yes, some of those carried the same end result of a bad decision in diving (read that: dead/injured).

Oh yeah, I have some pretty "set-in-my-ways" of thinking too. That doesn't mean everyone wants to hear them.

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open.

How do you figure that using EAN80 is "softening" the class? You can still hold the students to a high standard. It just gives you a little more leeway in case your student has a brain fart and does something stupid like hitting the wrong button on their inflator hose. I agree they should be pretty darn good divers by the time they take a tech class, but what's the point of using 100% if you don't need to? Why not give your students a "just in case" safety margin of 10-15 feet if you can? If they've never used 100% they don't know what their O2 tolerance is so why push 'em to the max?

BTW, after all that preaching about not getting sensitive you are sounding pretty sensitive yourself there. Why keep bringing up the George Irving III clone thing? We don't care who is or isn't...at least I don't. :wink:

I dont' feel that using 80% is softening, but I do feel that if an instructor uses 80% for safety, would that not be lack of confidence in the student?

As far as o2 tolerance I would assume that using 80% you would be getting on at 30 feet, which would be a similar Po2 load, I can't see the perspective of using 80% for safety.

I bring up the GI3 thing because there is a cult following if you havent' noticed, just trying to establish that I'm not a clone bashing 80% because its "stroke gas".

I'm a 100% man but not because there is a document out there called a bakers dozen.

I'm not getting sensitive, just talkin on the internet to other people, sometimes I post in between emails so I have to type fast and get to the point etc.

You know, this type of "back and forth" is the only side of tech diving that has me concerned. I've gotten to the point that I rarely admit I tech dive and rarely dive with other tech divers.

I haven't seen such personal assaults in any other sport than I've seen in tech diving. And yes, some of those carried the same end result of a bad decision in diving (read that: dead/injured).

Oh yeah, I have some pretty "set-in-my-ways" of thinking too. That doesn't mean everyone wants to hear them.

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open.

What back and forth?

I dont' see any name calling or anything going on, I see people talking about diving, what these boards are for.

I asked questions, he asked for comments, people gave comments.

I dont' usually tell people what kind of diving I do simply because I get the "everyone that does that dies" BS.

I dive dual bladder wing

And have also dove double steel in wetsuit

Then you have indeed proven that you are definitely not "a GI3 clone." Would you like a DIMWIT t-shirt? I'll make sure you get one on the next run. :wink:

I haven't followed the dimwit stuff, not sure what the deal is, I don't even think I'm an official swamper.

We each must make our very best choices regarding these situations and how to lesson the possible risks.
That is very DIMWITted of you to say so, Alan. I applaud you for saying as much! :clapping:

I haven't followed the dimwit stuff, not sure what the deal is, I don't even think I'm an official swamper.
No way...surely you've been diving with someone on this forum. That's all it takes to be an official Swamper.

DIMWIT -- Doing It My Way In Texas. Divers who don't follow any particular diving philosophy lock step, but take useful information from many sources and make it work for their diving. For example, I believe in using a long hose, staying streamlined and diving with only what I need...heck I even like black...:11:. I'm not DIR, GUE or a true Hogarthain diver though. I also dive dual bladder wings with doubles, have a sidemount (independent) system, and hope to own a rebreather someday should I ever come into money. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom