Guess who's a newbie TRIMIX diver?!? (and sorta Lake Travis report of 8/13)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, a lot of things "shouldn't" happen while diving but it IS windy point, and there was a bit of a chop on the lake and we WERE bobbing. I'm only saying that because we were, and I was there, and I was bobbing.

As for the 20' line - hey, if you're comfortable breathing 100% under 20' be my guest, but don't expect me to follow suit.

D.

Well if you see your gauge going 20' to 22' while bobbing just move up to where it is showing 18' to 20' problems sovled.

I've been in heavy chop there on the lake and the biggest thing I noticed was surge but my depth stayed about the same.

well anyway, whatever, I was curious why you chose the gases you chose, both of them will get you out of the water.

I was curious why you chose the gases you chose, both of them will get you out of the water.

I was curious why he chose to wear 108s and 2 deco bottles with a 3mm wetsuit:no Better question why his instuctor allowed him to pull off the dives that way. :shakehead:

Ben Affleck said in the movie Armagedon: Yea its all fun & games till someone gets
shot in the leg.

You're kidding me right? Man.. lotsa monday morning quarterbacks around here...

I was curious why he chose to wear 108s and 2 deco bottles with a 3mm wetsuit:no Better question why his instuctor allowed him to pull off the dives that way. :shakehead:

Ben Affleck said in the movie Armagedon: Yea its all fun & games till someone gets
shot in the leg.

I don't think he is kidding

with that much weight and no redundant bouancy your betting your life you won't have a bouancy equipment failure.

Your the one that chose to post on an internet forum and invite comments.

You can get offended or you can read and think about the things posted, if they are meaningless to you then simply dismiss or ignore the comments, you sure are not going to hurt my feelings.

You asked for comments and your getting them.

If all you wanted was a pat on the back then ok, congrats man on your new cert but please don't get upset with people when they comment after you have posted a post that says "comments?"

Cause your gonna get em even if you don't like what people have to say.

But don't take our words for it, go out and try it, check the tables for 50% vs 80% vs 100 vs one deco gas etc, take your rig down to 150 feet empty your bladder 100% and try to swim the rig up.

Try to fully deploy your long hose when you have bottles on your right (it can be done like I said but it can also cause problems).

I don't see anything in this thread stating "your not dir your gonna die" or "you put bottles on the right your gonna die!" etc.

Don't take my word for any of this stuff, I'm just some guy on the internet and I'm not even paid to know this stuff.

But at least think about it and or attempt some of the things to decide for yoruself before just dismissing it becase someone is amr chair quarterbacking and you don't like what they say.

Its the internet, read, decide for yourself, use your noodle, but why get upset about it.

I asked before but what algo are you using for your tables?

For anybody that has not read it,here are some "opinions" on 80% for deco.

UK Scuba - bakers*dozen

Personally I dont really care if I use 80% or 100%,especially in Travis. I do find that 100% is a lot less hassle.

Also I have done at least one Travis dive in 104's and a thin wetsuit. A wing failure would have been embarrassing but I felt lucky that day :wink:

While the crew might be a little tough on you its with good reason; they really do care.

It would be worth a six pack to sit down with an experienced trimix diver and or instructor and review why some people have these real world concerns.

Just as an aside I know a number of instructors who do not teach trimix if you do not even own a drysuit.
As you know He moves five times faster but it also cools the body.
Now, both of these can be contributing factor to problems with decompression.

Congrats on completing your training now you start planning your own dives.

If you want funny; I am considering a Fundies course through GUE.
That means I put all the certs in the draw and starting over; and it might even be fun!
Training is what you make out of it… enjoy

Regards, Andrew

I'm sure this will result in a flame, but I can't resist - :lotsalove:

We're talking about complete wing failure right?

Why not throw in catastrophic manifold failure?

Underwater mines?

Burst disk failure?

Evil frogmen coming up and cutting your hoses?

Your buddy tearing your mask off, hitting you in the head with a brick, and ramming your head in a hole with an angry moray eel?

Dr. Evil trying to ram you with his submarine?

I dunno, I have to laugh... just because something is POSSIBLE doesn't mean it's PROBABLE....

I'm sure there's merits for arguing for or against various gas mixes and decos... but slamming people for wearing wetsuits? C'mon...:D

Just to take an informal poll - this is supposed to be FUN, right? :wink:

I don't think he is kidding

with that much weight and no redundant bouancy your betting your life you won't have a bouancy equipment failure.

Your the one that chose to post on an internet forum and invite comments.

You can get offended or you can read and think about the things posted, if they are meaningless to you then simply dismiss or ignore the comments, you sure are not going to hurt my feelings.

You asked for comments and your getting them.

If all you wanted was a pat on the back then ok, congrats man on your new cert but please don't get upset with people when they comment after you have posted a post that says "comments?"

Cause your gonna get em even if you don't like what people have to say.

But don't take our words for it, go out and try it, check the tables for 50% vs 80% vs 100 vs one deco gas etc, take your rig down to 150 feet empty your bladder 100% and try to swim the rig up.

Try to fully deploy your long hose when you have bottles on your right (it can be done like I said but it can also cause problems).

I don't see anything in this thread stating "your not dir your gonna die" or "you put bottles on the right your gonna die!" etc.

Don't take my word for any of this stuff, I'm just some guy on the internet and I'm not even paid to know this stuff.

But at least think about it and or attempt some of the things to decide for yoruself before just dismissing it becase someone is amr chair quarterbacking and you don't like what they say.

Its the internet, read, decide for yourself, use your noodle, but why get upset about it.

I asked before but what algo are you using for your tables?

A buddy of mine recently had a wing failure.He wore through the corrugated hose in a sidemount restriction. Inflators have been known to come off the hose. Travis has some sharp metal in it (and lots of pointy trees) Wing failures may not be common but they do happen.

Lots of things in diving are possible but unlikely. A wing failure in Travis would be bad but not the end of the world.A few minutes after you smack into the silt the viz will clear , you could shoot a bag and wind yourself up the line. Maybe you could shoot the bag in zero viz but you might get tangled up in it. Maybe your buddy could lift you. There are options and the bottom is at around 160.

What if you are on a bottomless wall though? A wing failure with a wetsuit and steel doubles could easily kill you. Or a no flow cave with a silty bottom: Want to walk out 1000' in zero viz?

I figure that if I keep diving for another 20 years and (hopefully) hundreds of dives some bad things are going to happen. Why not stack the odds in my favor as much as possible? Not diving wetsuits and steel doubles is a start.

IMHO Al doubles would have been a better choice. Plenty of gas for the dive and weighting would be much better.

I'm sure this will result in a flame, but I can't resist - :lotsalove:

We're talking about complete wing failure right?

Why not throw in catastrophic manifold failure?

Underwater mines?

Burst disk failure?

Evil frogmen coming up and cutting your hoses?

Your buddy tearing your mask off, hitting you in the head with a brick, and ramming your head in a hole with an angry moray eel?

Dr. Evil trying to ram you with his submarine?

I dunno, I have to laugh... just because something is POSSIBLE doesn't mean it's PROBABLE....

I'm sure there's merits for arguing for or against various gas mixes and decos... but slamming people for wearing wetsuits? C'mon...:D

Just to take an informal poll - this is supposed to be FUN, right? :wink:

Interesting perspective. Just to play devil's advocate, why did you wear doubles on this dive? Why did you use two regs? It is highly probable that your regs will not fail, but it is possible so you use redundancy. Why does your manifold have an isolator knob? Well one of the reasons IS to deal w/ a bust disk failure. Wing failures happen. Using a drysuit or some other form of redundancy (double-wing, liftbag) when swimming large steel doubles and multiple stages is about as basic as using doubles on an overhead dive. The feedback you received was not out of line.

This is definitely suppose to be fun, but it is much more fun for me when I know I have my basics covered rather than relying on blind luck to get me out of a dive when the poop hits the fan.

Okay, okay, I admit it. I had a liftbag.

Interesting perspective. Just to play devil's advocate, why did you wear doubles on this dive? Why did you use two regs? It is highly probable that your regs will not fail, but it is possible so you use redundancy. Why does your manifold have an isolator knob? Well one of the reasons IS to deal w/ a bust disk failure. Wing failures happen. Using a drysuit or some other form of redundancy (double-wing, liftbag) when swimming large steel doubles and multiple stages is about as basic as using doubles on an overhead dive. The feedback you received was not out of line.

This is definitely suppose to be fun, but it is much more fun for me when I know I have my basics covered rather than relying on blind luck to get me out of a dive when the poop hits the fan.

Back
Top Bottom