Guess who's a newbie TRIMIX diver?!? (and sorta Lake Travis report of 8/13)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goodness...we're just sharing opinions and trying to give Daylonious a little advice that he can choose to take or not. That's the thing about advice, you know...you can give all you want, but nobody has to take it.

Heck, I'm even having some fun here with the debate. If we all pay attention some of us might even learn something. :D

You know, this type of "back and forth" is the only side of tech diving that has me concerned. I've gotten to the point that I rarely admit I tech dive and rarely dive with other tech divers.

I haven't seen such personal assaults in any other sport than I've seen in tech diving. And yes, some of those carried the same end result of a bad decision in diving (read that: dead/injured).

Oh yeah, I have some pretty "set-in-my-ways" of thinking too. That doesn't mean everyone wants to hear them.

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open.

The Dimwit T shirts are great.

Maybe Daylonius should get one ? :wink:

No doubt, Ian...Daylonious is definitely a free thinker. :wink:

the dimwit t shirts are great.

Maybe daylonius should get one ? :wink:

roflmao

No way...surely you've been diving with someone on this forum. That's all it takes to be an official Swamper.

DIMWIT -- Doing It My Way In Texas. Divers who don't follow any particular diving philosophy lock step, but take useful information from many sources and make it work for their diving. For example, I believe in using a long hose, staying streamlined and diving with only what I need...heck I even like black...:11:. I'm not DIR, GUE or a true Hogarthain diver though. I also dive dual bladder wings with doubles, have a sidemount (independent) system, and hope to own a rebreather someday should I ever come into money. :wink:

Don't beleive I have, all of my buddies are lurkers or not on this board at all. I've met several people but have not dove with them.

I'm not avoiding anyone, just usually have a goal when I haul out to the dive site.

I dont' feel that using 80% is softening, but I do feel that if an instructor uses 80% for safety, would that not be lack of confidence in the student?
More likely a CYA in case a mistake is made. I learned on EAN80 and now I DM for my tech instructor. I'm pretty sure he has confidence in me...either that or he wants to keep a real close eye on me to make sure I don't kill myself. :rofl3:

As far as o2 tolerance I would assume that using 80% you would be getting on at 30 feet, which would be a similar Po2 load, I can't see the perspective of using 80% for safety.
That would be true if they were doing their deco at 30'. Doing it at 20' gives them at least a little cushion. That's all I'm saying.

I bring up the GI3 thing because there is a cult following if you havent' noticed, just trying to establish that I'm not a clone bashing 80% because its "stroke gas".
What!? Georgie has a cult following!? :11: Just messing with you a little. :wink: Glad to hear you're not one of them. They are the reason the whole DIMWIT thing got started.

I gotta remember that one, Dave. If I have the words right that is classic!:wink:

I gotta remember that one, Dave. If I have the words right that is classic!:wink:

Envision this , I am taking a big sip of coffee:coffee: and midstream come across that post of wit. Needless to say I had a pretty good mess to clean up.

You know, this type of "back and forth" is the only side of tech diving that has me concerned. I've gotten to the point that I rarely admit I tech dive and rarely dive with other tech divers.

I haven't seen such personal assaults in any other sport than I've seen in tech diving. And yes, some of those carried the same end result of a bad decision in diving (read that: dead/injured).

Oh yeah, I have some pretty "set-in-my-ways" of thinking too. That doesn't mean everyone wants to hear them.

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open.

As a course director when you see a weak or vulnerable area that a Instructor candidate may have how do you point it out or do you just not say anything at all fearing it may be a personal attack?

If you would of been sporting a set of Alum.80s . I would of never made the post..

Ok, as a DIMWIT reader here (no doubles, no tech training)... what does AL versus steel have to do with it? I've been pondering this literally for hours now. The best I can think of is that with doubled AL tanks, you have ditchable weight. So in the case of a wing failure you could ditch some weight and your 2 tanks could end up as much as 8 lbs positive when empty. So in this scenario, the diver is guessing how much weight to ditch, and then will wish he had it back when he's on his deco stop and his tanks are getting lighter with each breath.
At this time I am just trying to get clarification for any other random readers who may be wondering the same thing.

With Al doubles and maybe a few pounds extra weight you can have a "balanced" rig. i.e at the start of a dive you are only negative by the weight of the gas you are carrying.

With big steel doubles you are going to be very negative starting a dive in a wetsuit,no way round it.

With the "balanced " Al rig you can swim it up in the event of a wing failure.With the steel tanks you are a lawn dart and will hit the silt.

My 40 pound wing will not support a set of well filled double 104's. If I put the entire setup in the water on its own it sinks (even with an Al backplate) So that rig is around 40 pounds negative. No way that could ever be swum up in the event of a wing failure,let alone maintain deco stops.

Back
Top Bottom