GUE procedure changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which SMB is kept behind the back, emergency or utility?

Boomer7:
anything can be emergency or utility. I don't keep a bag in back as I don't have an MC pack. I have an SMB. I still think that it could be put in the right pocket because shooting a bag while your finger is on the trigger of a scooter sounds like a giant PITA if you ask me :)

Chris

Mo2vation:
Try to jam a mask and a spool into the flat right pocket many koolaiders had installed for Wetnotes.
That flat pocket was not one of GUE's better ideas. I'm sending my suit back to DUI to get the thing replaced with a standard bellows pocket ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Boomer7:
My Remote/Tropical Dive Site set-up:
Diver's Life Raft rolled-up, mounted to bottom edge of BP, clipped-off to rear D-ring of crotch strap. Liftbag/SMB is flaked & stowed in MC Pack and clipped-off to rear D-ring --also functions as redundant buoyancy in wetsuit diving in case of wing failure. Dedicated sausage SMB, stowed in sleeving & mounted on right side of BP.

cmalinowski:
anything can be emergency or utility. I don't keep a bag in back as I don't have an MC pack. I have an SMB. I still think that it could be put in the right pocket because shooting a bag while your finger is on the trigger of a scooter sounds like a giant PITA if you ask me :)

Chris

Chris,

Finger on the trigger moving at 200 fpm, Light in Left hand, In trim, and in an OOG situation... Blow a bag..... All while Ed, is above you making sure you look up...:wink:

Not a problem....

Guess my suit goes back next week to trash the flat pocket also.

When I blow a bag, I'm not scootering.

In fact, I'm not sure its even possible to simultaneously blow a bag and scooter. When I blow a bag I use both hands while my scooter floats obediently out in front of me.

In any event, my SMB and spool - which are things that if I want them there is a potential that I am rather concerned and would prefer them quickly - are in my right thigh pocket. As I've got the Halcyon 6' SMB thats about all that will fit on the right.

Wetnotes, folding knife, spares of various flavors, etc. are on the left because in my assumptions regarding occasions where I'd need them, I'd be more likely to have the time to dig them out.

You shouldn't need to rummage around much inside your pockets, though. Each item should be clipped to a bungee loop, one along the forward edge, one along the aft edge. Flip out the loops, identify and snatch item, flip the loops back in and secure pocket, no worries.

FWIW. YMMV.

lamont:
does anyone out there often rummage for items in their pockets while scootering?

Nope.... I see the potential for a "George of the Jungle" scooter vs rock event :)

Ben_ca:
Nope.... I see the potential for a "George of the Jungle" scooter vs rock event :)

Been There, Seen that.... We do alot quarry diving here, and seen some very tell tale scrape marks on some nose cones, after a romp around the park, and there was no mention of digging in pockets when the wall jumped out...

Kind of like demo derby with a $4000.00 scooter... The rock wins every time..

The whole thing makes cense... While rumaging around in the left pocket for an arrow or spool, the thing you will use the most, the scooter can be kept off the bottom with the right hand. No matter which way the standard went, there would always be someone doing it the opposite way, hence standardization. It will just take time for it to sink in.. Now on the valve drill, how many of us will be shutting down the left post while breathing it down?? I like the new procedure, but Ill have to smack myself everytime I dont switch back before shutting down the isolator, its just too easy to move from the right post to the isolator, now after turning on the right post, back to the reg, then back to the isolator, the on to the left post, it flowed better before.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom