GUE primer with Bob Sherwood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zenheadhunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well guys, i made the trip to Dutch Springs this past weekend (17th&18th) to take the GUE primer class with Bob Sherwood. I have to say it is one of the best decisions i have made in dive training choice.
Day 1:Our goals of the day were to learn what it is to dive as a team,to descend and ascend with a high level of control anywhere in the water column,gaining neutral buoyancy and achieving horizontal trim. The skills i mentioned above are definitely not easy ,but anything at this level of control is going to require effort and time in the water. The first dive of the day was not very pretty and i was not very happy with my performance. Bob did not let us beat ourselves up to bad and took us back to the trailer and showed us the video and pointed out the good thing about the dive and showed us how to correct the bad thing in the dive. Dive 2 went a little bit better and i was able to gain horizontal trim (not pretty but not vertical)and to see bob clap for me was a great feeling,i had to restrain myself from smiling from ear to ear since we were still under water:D

Day 2:Our goals of the day were to continue working on our team skills and the other skills we did the day before as well as learning some propulsion techniques (flutter kick,modified frog kick and frog kick )dive 3 was better, but i need to work on my kicking techniques and situational awareness. My team and bob were there for me when i needed a hand at all times. Bob pointed out i was dropping my feet and head and had to take a hands on approach so i would understand what he was telling me. Dive 4 we saw a little more improvement and that feeling of zero gravity flying is something that can't be explained in words and is something you must experience yourself to understand (WOW! is all i can say).Bob decided enough training for the day and that we were going to make a fun dive out to the helicopter and make a penetration through the front and exit the rear,i was the first to enter and the first to exit. I should have waited on the team just outside of the exit but failed to do so and this was a big error on my part(never never leave your team).I learn from my mistakes and will not allow this to happen ever again. We regrouped after my mistakes and continued the dive over to a boat wreck and back towards our exit point where we made a slow accent to the surface. we made a surface swim to the entry platform where we talked about the dive and bob asked us to rate ourselves as he does at the end of every dive. I did not rate myself very high and bob stopped me there and said our dive was good with some issues we still need to work on and that we should take our victory's when we get them. Back at the trailer bob broke out the video to make his point clear. during dive three bob had filmed us against some other divers that decided to swim through our training session and to see what we looked like compared to the other divers on the video was a real testament to what bob had taught us over the 2 days of training.

I want to say that Bob Sherwood is a world class diver and a fantastic teacher. His level of control in the water is amazing to watch .If i can achieve what he has with his diving,i will be one happy guy. Bob is also a very friendly ,approachable guy and will not let you fail it simply is not in his character. Do yourself a favor and give bob a call and set up a class i promise you will not be disappointed( Phone: 607-786-3941. Mobile phone: 607-765-3942. Email: sherwood@gue.com)

I also would like to thank the dive ny crew and all the people i met in dutch for all the support and encouragement as well as making me feel welcome. You guys are a great group of divers.

My Dive Epiphany: a manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of what is possible in diving with dedication,hard work,willingness to fail and never give up and with a mentor/Instructor like Bob Sherwood on your side you can and will achieve it.

Thanks,
Vince

Glad you had a great experience with Primer. Bob's a class act and an amazing teacher. Now come dive with us (and take Fundies!). :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom