GUE position on lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I brought up this topic in another thread, but do not want to hijack it, I decided to open this thread.

I would be interrested in the postion on the question if a canister light, mounted on the right hip is still considered mandatory nowadays.

I read in the standard Appendix A: "Where burn time requirements create the need for an external battery pack, it should reside in a canister mounted to the diver’s right hip."

The situation is as follows. I have got a light with an external canister, but it fits on my wrist Mount, so I have no cord across the chest. Instead of a canister, I wrapped the longhose under a cutting device on the right hip.

Would this Setup disqualify me?

Firstly you aren't going to be disqualified. That's not how it works. You could borrow one from them or rent one. These conversations are exactly the sort you'd be having with your instructor before the course.

I would suggest contacting your the instructor and getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

They will give you a definitive answer.

If you are not sure or still disagree they or you can take it up with the HQ. To be honest you'll get much more useful information from them then on an open forum.

Hi all,

To gain a tech pass at fundamentals you must be able to manage a light cord while doing an S-drill and Valve drill. Doesn't mean you have to own a canister light, Just that you show that you are able to use one. I (and most instructors I know) have several lights, and so can loan one to student for a dive or two.

Personally I've been using halcyon Hand held lights for a year or so, and like them. But still go back to corded lights for longer dives.

Hth
John

The thing is, that I did ask these questions, when I was looking for an instructor. But the answer was not satisfying. The problem was not, that it was not the answer I wanted to hear, but rather that he was not able to give me a reason why I would need to be able to handle the cord.

That says a lot about the instructor. He should have been able to give you a clear answer why GUE does the things the way they do imo.

The thing is, that I did ask these questions, when I was looking for an instructor. But the answer was not satisfying. The problem was not, that it was not the answer I wanted to hear, but rather that he was not able to give me a reason why I would need to be able to handle the cord.
What did he say? Who was it?

I wont give any names, thats not important. The message was simply: it is required... you need to be able to be able to handle the cord.

I wont give any names, thats not important. The message was simply: it is required... you need to be able to be able to handle the cord.
Important to anyone looking to take a class and choosing their instructor.

I think this would be the case if some Standards were hurt or if it would pose a risk. Since that is not the case and ist rather a personal decision I absolutely do not see a reason for namecalling.
Maybe I´m just to critical and overly curious... so everyone should make his own choice unbiased.

he was not able to give me a reason why I would need to be able to handle the cord.

Because it's a standard of the certification. A cord light is standard diving gear and to get the certification you need to be able to use the standard gear.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom