GUE position on lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rechno

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since I brought up this topic in another thread, but do not want to hijack it, I decided to open this thread.

I would be interrested in the postion on the question if a canister light, mounted on the right hip is still considered mandatory nowadays.

I read in the standard Appendix A: "Where burn time requirements create the need for an external battery pack, it should reside in a canister mounted to the diver’s right hip."

The situation is as follows. I have got a light with an external canister, but it fits on my wrist Mount, so I have no cord across the chest. Instead of a canister, I wrapped the longhose under a cutting device on the right hip.

Would this Setup disqualify me?

On page 102 of the GUE standards v8 (found here: Standards and Procedures | Global Underwater Explorers), it states:

e. Underwater lights:
i. When required, backup lights should be powered by alkaline batteries (not rechargeable) and stowed on the D-rings at a diver’s chest.
ii. Backup lights should have a minimal amount of protrusions and a single attachment at its rear.
iii. The primary light should consist of a rechargeable battery pack and be fitted with a Goodman-style light handle.
iv. When burn time requirements create the need for an external battery pack, it should reside in a canister mounted on the diver’s right hip.

While one can argue that until you get to Cave, you won't need to have a canister light, I can see the argument that given that (my understanding) was that GUE created its fundamentals program as a gatekeeper for divers to have appropriate skills for cave diving, that one would be required for a tech pass. My understanding is that everything GUE teaches in the recreational courses, from skills and equipment configuration, is consistent/the same with what is required in their T1/T2 and C1/C2 courses.

Mind you, I'm only a diver with a GUE fundies rec pass. All I can do is point to the documentation, which to me is unclear and I can hypothesize. I'd like to see someone from GUE headquarters to comment.

if you are talking about the light that you quoted in the other thread, that is not an external battery pack.

are you talking about training or just diving? @PfcAJ can weigh in, but I believe a canister is part of the training requirements for certain courses

Are you saying you have a cannister, but it is mounted on the left side? If so, it would cause a problem when you're carrying deco or stage bottles there.

But thats exactly the Point im curious about.
I absolutely understand the need for canister lights and the respective burn time in the old days.

With the modern technology I can have the appropriate burntime, even for longer cave dives, without the need for a canister on the hip, so there seems to be no valid argument, why it would be mandatary (if this is the case).

Tbone, interresting point of view (not a canister light)... how is it defined. Since the light i´m talking about has a cable connection and a canister, only that it is small enough to mount the whole system on the hand. Anyhow, I could as well mount it on the hip (or anywhere else) just that up to now I do not see the reason.

@Rechno I see nothing in standards that mandate use of a canister light for specific courses. Instructors may require it, but @PfcAJ will have to clarify if they have that ability for equipment requirements.

Which light are you talking about here that has a wrist mounted canister?

Thats the light I was also talking about in the other thread. The Scurion.

Thats the light I was also talking about in the other thread. The Scurion.

i didn't see a tether option when I looked on their website so was curious. Why are you curious about being GUE compatible within their standards? If it is for a specific class, get with the instructor directly, if it is to just dive, I haven't seen many gear freaks that are that particular as of late

Well the whole point of GUE is a unified team setup, where any diver knows where any other divers equipment is because it's all the same for every diver?

I can see how having a wrist mounted canister is beneficial. It stays out of the way, there's no insane cord to manage. However I'm sure that you can't show up to gue classes in non standard gear.

So your option is probably either just use an old fashioned can light or go through the long and arduous fight of getting gue to change standards

The question just came up in my mind, when we were talking about the can-lights in the other thread.
I talked to an instructor and he told me I would need a can light IOT be able to get a Tech-pass in fundamentals. By that time he could not answer my question to the WHY, but said it was in the standards, so I decided to go a different way.

Right now it is just curiosity that made me ask the question.

Added to avoid cross-posting: And please, I do not intend to make anyone change something. Right now I would just like to see how it is looked upon.
I read in the Annex, that if an external canister is needed it should reside on the right hip. So I think rather then being mandatory, it was the instructor who simply wanted it that way.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom