GUE position on lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ehhh, I just got one two weeks ago, and the anodizing on the body is pretty easy to scratch. I'm thinking I made the wrong choice here...
Blue or black? I haven't handled a blue one. Black one does well in my experience.

Also, I was being entirely sarcastic about rethinking my choice. My wife scored me a 2.0 for my birthday, and when she asked me how it was after my first time using it, I said "This is the second happiest day of my life." She asked what the first was. "When I got my first MTM drysuit."

There are right answers, and there are wrong answers. That may have been the wrong answer. To be fair, it's the first can light I've ever personally owned.

Ehhh, I just got one two weeks ago, and the anodizing on the body is pretty easy to scratch. I'm thinking I made the wrong choice here...

I have a blue one also .... just so it shows its a 2.0 :p .... My first impressions on the anodizing wasn't great (did a lot of anodizing in a former lifetime).

BUT, in the 2 months that I've had it, being "thrown" around in vehicles, boats, rocky shores, on scooters, etc .... it is standing up quite well. The points in question are on the edges, which would wear regardless .... eventually .....

Overall, after the initial 2-3 scratches, it hasn't had any since that first few dives (I've put about 30hrs in the water with it now)

The expedition handle is similar (in black). A few scratches in the first dive or two and nothing since.

_R

I talked to an instructor and he told me I would need a can light IOT be able to get a Tech-pass in fundamentals.

That makes sense as a tech pass means you understand and can execute proper light cord management.

That makes sense as a tech pass means you understand and can execute proper light cord management.

This was the same answer that I got from my GUE instructor when I asked. He said that a handheld light was fine for tech or cave, but you had to be able to demonstrate the ability to properly manage a cord with a borrowed can light.

...but then I spent too much time diving with people who had better lights than me. And I was jealous. So I bought a Focus 2. :rofl3:

Thanks for the answers so far.

Thats the point the question is about. My (personal)cord management is, that the cord is neatly tucked away in that way, that i make a handheld out of my can-light, so there is no reason for me to mount it on the hip. If I´m dry caving or climbing I release lighthead and can and mount them on my helmet in about a minute. The cells give me up between 3 and 10 hrs light in higher modes and up to 100hrs in low/emergency mode... This will give me reasonably enough burn time for all the dives I´ll be able to do in the near or far future)

But again, I do not want to discuss a specific light but was rather interested in the general position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom