GUE introducing learn to dive.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
interesting times are aboot.....

and knowing what i now know, if i had a do-over i would be very interested

GUE Recreational Diver 1 | Global Underwater Explorers

GUE Recreational Diver Level 1
The primary purpose of GUE Recreational Diver 1 is to teach non-divers to master the art and science of sport diving through cultivating essential diving techniques and sound diving practices from the very beginning.

After a long project GUE announce the release of their Recreational Diver Level 1 course. The launch took place at GUEs 10th Annual Conference in Gainesville, Florida on the 31st of October 2008.

GUE Recreational Diver Level 1 is an 8 -10 day program where much of the focus lies on developing proficiency in the fundamental principles of diving such as buoyancy, trim, propulsion and stability. Apart from establishing basic diving capacity and aquatic comfort; more advanced diving skills such as SMB deployment, ascent techniques and diver rescue will be included in the comprehensive program.

The academic material, which supports the in-water training, comprises of an elaborate workbook, The Fundamentals of Recreational Diving Beginning with the End in Mind, which covers physics, physiology, breathing gasses, decompression, dive planning, diver rescue and the aquatic realm.

Along with the new workbook, GUE also launches a comprehensive encyclopaedia, Submerged: Mastering the Art and Science of Sport Diving.

The outcome will be a diver trained in the use of Nitrox 32, advanced buoyancy skills, diver rescue, drysuit diver and will have an equivalency rating of GUE Fundamentals Recreational Diver.

Work begins on finalising the Recreational Diver Level 2 and 3 from January 2009.

For more information please contact GUE at info@gue.com

Wow. This is kind of exciting. I sure hope I can score one of their workbooks to look at.

Too late for me. They needed this course about 5 years ago :)

i hear if you take your c-card, start a fire and run around nekkid three times backwards while throwing the cards into the fire you can be reborn as a non-diver so its not too late! :D

but i am interested in the GUE divers thoughts - is this a good thing for their association in their opinion.

cheers

I too am wondering how this will work, 8-10 days zero to hero for lack of a better way of saying it. I understand that it is ALOT more training then most new divers get and quality is likely to be MUCH higher. But is this really aimed at "new divers" or at bringing in current rec divers into the DIR mindset?

i hear if you take your c-card, start a fire and run around nekkid three times backwards while throwing the cards into the fire you can be reborn as a non-diver so its not too late! :D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

but i am interested in the GUE divers thoughts - is this a good thing for their association in their opinion.

cheers

I'll be listening in to see how this works out - still planning on Fundies in the Spring though

Fundies Required skills:
Required Dive Skills & Drills

1. Demonstrate proficiency in safe diving techniques; this would include pre-dive preparations, in-water activity, and post-dive assessment.
2. Demonstrate awareness of team member location and a concern for safety, responding quickly to visual cues and dive partner needs.
3. Efficiently and comfortably demonstrate how to donate gas to an out-of-gas diver.
4. Efficiently and comfortably demonstrate how to donate gas to an out-of-gas diver followed by a slow, direct ascent to the surface.
5. Comfortably demonstrate at least two propulsion techniques that would be appropriate in delicate and/or silty environments.
6. Demonstrate a safe and responsible demeanor throughout all training.
7. Demonstrate proficiency in the ability to deploy a spool and a surface marker.
8. Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim.
9. Demonstrate proficiency in underwater communication.
10. Demonstrate basic equipment proficiency and an understanding of the DIR equipment configuration.
11. Demonstrate aptitude in the following open water skills: mask clearing, mask removal and replacement, regulator removal and exchange, long hose deployment.
12. Demonstrate safe ascent and decent procedures.
13. Demonstrate proficiency in executing a valve drill.

GUE Recreational Diver 1:
Required Dive Skills & Drills

1. Demonstrate proficiency in safe diving techniques; this would include pre-dive preparations, in-water activity, and post-dive assessment.
2. Demonstrate awareness of team member location and a concern for safety, responding quickly to visual cues and dive partner needs.
3. Efficiently and comfortably demonstrate how to donate gas to an out-of-gas diver.
4. Efficiently and comfortably demonstrate how to donate gas to an out-of-gas diver followed by a slow, direct ascent to the surface.
5. Comfortably demonstrate at least two propulsion techniques and 1 maneuvering technique.
6. Demonstrate a safe and responsible demeanor throughout all training.
7. Demonstrate proficiency in the ability to deploy a spool and a surface marker.
8. Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim.
9. Demonstrate proficiency in underwater communication.
10. Demonstrate basic equipment proficiency and an understanding of the DIR equipment configuration.
11. Demonstrate aptitude in the following open water skills: mask clearing, mask removal and replacement, regulator removal and exchange, long hose deployment.
12. Demonstrate aptitude in the following surface rescue skills: primary assessment, diver tow, remove personal scuba, removal of unconscious diverÃÔ scuba, egress with an unconscious diver.
13. Demonstrate safe ascent and decent procedures.
14. Demonstrate proficiency in executing a valve drill.
15. Demonstrating proficiency in straight line compass navigation under water.

Maybe I am missing something but seems there are more in water requirements for Rec diver then Fundies. . .

Differences are bold, italic, underlined. . .

I do like the 4:1 student:instructor ratio though . . .

Maybe I am missing something but seems there are more in water requirements for Rec diver then Fundies. . .

Differences are bold, italic, underlined. . .

I do like the 4:1 student:instructor ratio though . . .

Also Rec Diver has a deeper maximum depth (granted not by very much).

Fundamentals: "Maximum depth 60 feet/18 meters"

Rec:"Maximum depth 70 feet/21 meters"

I'll be interested in hearing what levels 2 and 3 encompass since level 1 seems to already require more than Fundies does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom