ground or bonded prescription mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dna77054

Registered
Reaction score
I am near sighted and currently wear contact while diving. They work great, but I can envision circumstances when they will just no go in or are uncomforatable, so I would like a prescrition mask as a back up.

So should I go with a gound in prescription or have lens bonded to the inside of a mask? Or buy an off the rack prescription mask, my eyes are -2.5 an d-3.25.

Thanks

dna77054:
I am near sighted and currently wear contact while diving. They work great, but I can envision circumstances when they will just no go in or are uncomforatable, so I would like a prescrition mask as a back up.

So should I go with a gound in prescription or have lens bonded to the inside of a mask? Or buy an off the rack prescription mask, my eyes are -2.5 an d-3.25.

Thanks

I selected prescription replacements for my X-vision mask. For a total of C$100 including mask it was a good deal, and my LDS had a good selection of diopers. If you can find a mask that fits properly and has 'drop in' lenses available, that'd be my first choice.

Sean

DNA775054 - I'm near sited. Roughly 2.25 each eye. IMHO, I would stay away from the off the rack presciption mask depending on your age. When I turned 40, I could not read my guages under water with the prescription mask. Eventually, I set up my mask kind of like a Bi-Focal. I use a narrow bonded prescription up high leaving clear glass below. Works great. I get the distance in focus and the closeups use the clear glass. Your LDS should be able to help you or contact Prescription Dive Mask in Calif.
I got the mask and prescription for $175 Cheers - Tom

Thanks for the info so far. I am well aware of both Prescription Dive Masks in CAli, as well as SeaVision. Basically I just want to know what are the advatages/disadvanted sof ground in prescrition verses a bonded prescrition.

I am in Houson and we have a big vendor show ending tomorrow. I can get a SeaVision mask with single prescrition for $140 during the show, as opposed to $210 otherwise.

I have bonded perscriptions in my mask, bi-focals an all, and I love being able to see the fish as well as my computer.

I can't read a thing without my bi-focals.

Whether I go with bonded or ground depends on the mask. If it has removable lenzes I prefer ground...nothing to come un-bonded. Some masks however don't have reomvable glass so you have to use bonded.

We use a place called dive-optics (I think) and if it's a mask they've worked with before they can make them to your prescription and send you the lenzes if you can put them in yourself. For the bonded ones you have to send them the mask of course.

dna77054:
Thanks for the info so far. I am well aware of both Prescription Dive Masks in CAli, as well as SeaVision. Basically I just want to know what are the advatages/disadvanted sof ground in prescrition verses a bonded prescrition.

I am in Houson and we have a big vendor show ending tomorrow. I can get a SeaVision mask with single prescrition for $140 during the show, as opposed to $210 otherwise.

I ended up with bonded bificals and like it so far. I'm hard pressed to find the edges of the lenses while wearing it. It's interesting how your eyes actually work and how your brain proseses info. The only odd part is wiping defog on since I have the raised islands, not a problem.

If you have a mask with removable lenses then you can move them to a new one should the mask fail such as a torn skirt. You might want to buy a backup just in case your model gets discontinued. Then again it may then be time for a new prescription.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom