Greetings from Villa Alba, Tulamben, Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so today was a good day for me. I saw about 5 different types of nudis, my first frogfish (actually saw two) and was able to see my first pygmy seahorse!

😂 Not if you go with me!
It's just a running gag on this board.
Some self proclaimed expert (apparently after his first trip) spreaded the ridiculous idea that the dive centers in Bali incl. Tulamben won't let their guides dive more than an hour.
Personnally I have hardly had dives less than 60 minutes in Tulamben -or only at my request- where I have been diving once or twice a year for the last 12 years.

Excellent photos, @Searcaigh! It was so much fun diving with you all. Next time, rock boots…Unfortunately, I split off from the group a little earlier to meet a friend in Komodo. I am now in Alor where the diving is AMAZING.

Day 6

Changed back to the 105mm lens to dive "Liberty Slope" to the right of the wreck with @WetPup

The others were all diving the wreck, but there were dozens of other divers there including people doing DSDs, and seriously who want's to be in that melee of people thrashing around just because they want to "tick a box" I know it makes money for the locals but I want to be as far away as possible from people like that.

Anyway we drop down and first nudi at around 6m and I notice I have the same issue as before, strobes firing but no visible picture. I surface and go ashore to open up the camera housing and sure enough the flash has popped up again on the camera :mad:

I pushed it back down, and closed the housing, having borrowed a towel from a local lady prior to opening the housing. Took a couple of test shots and went back into the water. Everything worked well after that.

Loads of nudis. After the SI we all dived the slope again.

Later @outofofficebrb and I did a night dive together on the house reef, the only two of the group, it was her last dive before heading back to Denpasar the next morning.

Now this was a surprise, I'm assuming some weird colour variation of Hyspselodoris tryoni, or could it be another species of Hypselodoris? I've seen photos of H. pulchella mating with H. Tryoni in the past. Anyone seen this colouration before?

Also found this Gymnodoris sp that we had spotted previously on a previous night dive.

Day 7

We did two dives at Batu Niti, and another night dive on VA House Reef.

The guides certainly found some really weird stuff for us again today

And I still have to ID these two amongst several more.

The night dive was not as exciting as the previous night but I did come across this unusual Hypselodoris once more

And I still have to ID these two amongst several more.

Trapania palmula : Trapania palmula
Noumeaella sp. : Noumeaella sp. 5

One question : what camera equipement do you shoot with and why are you using electrical strobe connexion instead of optical one. The latter is so much better/safer, I would never go back from optical.

One question : what camera equipement do you shoot with and why are you using electrical strobe connexion instead of optical one. The latter is so much better/safer, I would never go back from optical.
D7100 in a Sea&Sea housing with two YS-D2J strobes (now only one, YS-D3 replacement on it's way)

Day 7 and Day 8 shots taken using the Backscatter mini strobes, which have saved my trip now for the second time this year.

And thanks for the IDs :thumb:

Appreciate help with this one too :wink:

Appreciate help with this one too :wink:
Carminadoris estrelyado aka "the fried egg nudi" (what it actually means in tagalog filipino language)

Carminadoris estrelyado aka "the fried egg nudi" (what it actually means in tagalog filipino language)
Thanks again Luko

I did mention to my buddy that it looked like a fried egg 🤣

The photo in Gosliner et al's book page 175 doesn't really match too well.

Now I'm going to call my friend Carmina "Doris" 🤣 she'll love this as she's Filipino.

Back
Top Bottom